The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Illinois for 5 days next week for my brother's wedding. That is the longest that I will have been away from my girls and I'm petrified!! I'm having someone come over twice a day to take care of them but I'm soo scared something is going to happen!! I wish I wasn't this attached to them! LOL!

Has anyone else had this problem?:eek:

·
Registered
471 Posts
YES!!! We haven't made a big trip since we got the goats but when we used to go to the beach in the summer for my dad's "continued education" my mom and I were a huge nervous wreck, calling every day to make sure that the animals (ducks, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, dogs, cats, horses, fish) were okay. I hate leaving them for even a day, I just get so worried that nobody can care for them like we do.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YES!!! We haven't made a big trip since we got the goats but when we used to go to the beach in the summer for my dad's "continued education" my mom and I were a huge nervous wreck, calling every day to make sure that the animals (ducks, chickens, turkeys, rabbits, dogs, cats, horses, fish) were okay. I hate leaving them for even a day, I just get so worried that nobody can care for them like we do.
That's me too! I want to have a really good time but I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to fully relax......I'll be texting the girl all the time that's taking care of them where she'll never want to do it again! Now I know why they call us the "crazy goat ladies"!! LOL

·
Registered
471 Posts
That's me too! I want to have a really good time but I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to fully relax......I'll be texting the girl all the time that's taking care of them where she'll never want to do it again! Now I know why they call us the "crazy goat ladies"!! LOL
One thing that we did to help ease the stress is we had them come over for morning and evening chores for a day or two before we left, so that they knew how our animals normally were and how chores go around here. We aren't crazy...everyone else is just too normal! :p

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing that we did to help ease the stress is we had them come over for morning and evening chores for a day or two before we left, so that they knew how our animals normally were and how chores go around here. We aren't crazy...everyone else is just too normal! :p
I've had the girl come over once already and she's coming tonight and tomorrow evening. I'm not really worried about the feeding but the milking! I'm so worried that my doe is gonna end up not getting milked out all the way and get mastitis and on and on.......I'm sure everything will be fine but I just have never left them for this long or that far for that matter! :GAAH:

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've had the girl come over once already and she's coming tonight and tomorrow evening. I'm not really worried about the feeding but the milking! I'm so worried that my doe is gonna end up not getting milked out all the way and get mastitis and on and on.......I'm sure everything will be fine but I just have never left them for this long or that far for that matter! :GAAH:
Well if you've already expressed the importance, I think she'll understand how worried you are and do the right thing. I know you and the goaties will miss each other but I bet they'll do fine with each other..and it's only a few days so then you'll be right back with them. :) then you can catch up on the time lost.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
We haven't gone on any long trips since we've gotten goats, but we talk about it a lot. I freak out even thinking about it. There's nobody close enough to come watch our goats while we're away. I don't know how we'll ever manage it. :shrug:

·
Registered
471 Posts
We haven't gone on any long trips since we've gotten goats, but we talk about it a lot. I freak out even thinking about it. There's nobody close enough to come watch our goats while we're away. I don't know how we'll ever manage it. :shrug:
It's so scary trusting another person to care for animals that have you have a huge personal investment in. That's why we haven't gone anywhere...goats are very different from cats and dogs, and it takes someone who knows that to take care of them.

We have had family watch our animals in the past...maybe that would be something to try?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
The only family we have nearby is my grandad- hour and a half away, knows nothing about goats, lives in the city, slightly feeble- and my grandmother (other side) who's in the same boat, she's about 30 minutes away. :sigh:I don't mind too much, i like being at home with my goats, but it would be nice to have some back up.
Sorry about the font. It's the smilie, it messed it up.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Goats are soooooo.....how should I say.......particular about people?!?! They know when any little thing is changed in the routine.......they're so "humanlike" LOL

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oh I do not like leaving my goats... I only have one person I trust to feed them at all like I do. I have a way that I do it, and all the goats know what to do and were to wait until the food is ready. I've also got two dog's out with them that are fed on the same schedule as the goats, but the dog's can't be fed next to each other and you have to wait until they are done eating and put there bowls up for the next feeding... It's a lot of work, and I don't like making someone else do it. I don't think I will ever go out of town. :laugh:

·
8,394 Posts
I write out everything on an easily read, laminated sheet of paper!
List all the feed, who gets what and all phone numbers for vets, fire, police, etc.
I also write down the address etc. (in the event of a 911 call) My feed mill will let
the caretaker get more grain if I am delayed for some reason. I just pay him when I get home.

I don't know how many goats you have, but I also fill zip lock bags with each goats name and
day it is to be fed. (14 goats x2 a day = lots of zip locks!) Each day goes into a large
plastic bin - so the feeder person just has to reach in and grab that goat's bag for that feeding-
no question how much to feed, etc. (I tie each goat up to eat).

I am sure all will be fine- try to enjoy your trip. Soon it will be over and you will be back home
with all your goats!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i understand completely! i'm leaving for KANSAS in a couple of hours just for the weekend, and it just makes me nuts with worry. if it wasnt my son's wedding, you can bet i wouldnt be going!! KANSAS ARGHH!!!!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I fell all of you. i'm going on a trip and will be away from my goats for 2.5 wks in aug. i'm leaving my bf to take care of everyone. even then i'm scared b/c I do everything with the goats. the other day I was telling him how much to feed the dry doe (not much or else she gets fat), and he pretty much fed her 5x the amt of food I usually give her. sigh!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I had this problem every time I flew out if state, whether it was for seeing family, judging, or buying something. I freaked out worrying the entire time, every time I left. And worst of all, sometimes I had to leave at kidding time! It doesn't get better.... but at least nothing horrible went wrong any of the times I've left.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
It's very frustrating, that's for sure!Nchen, that's kind of what happens when it's my bro. or sisters turn to do the chores! They just aren't as aware of what to do, how much to feed, etc. I'm always having to write it down for them, and they still forget sometimes.:rolleyes: Ah family!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm glad I'm not the only "crazy" one here!! :D and at least I get to take my Pug with me......I don't know what I would do if I had to leave her. That would just put me over the edge!! LOL

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
We actually cant go on vacation! There is absolutely no one who knows how to feed 70 animals the EXACT same way we do ;) Our horses, goats, and dogs have color-coded feed buckets......

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Ugh, I am super ocd about how every thing is done at my house. Nobody can every get it right and I always end up having to do it, and I stress out so much when I have to leave because I just know it's not getting done the way I said it should be. And when it comes to having someone else milk the does, I HATE leaving when that has to be done. They are never fed the same way, they don't divide the grain the way I do, they take forever milking, and oh I just hate it. Super ocd freak! Never leaving again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts