The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancé and I are leaving for vacation this afternoon and it will be the first time I'm away from my herd for an extended period of time :eek: I have hired a reliable farm hand to go to the farm twice a day, but it is still scary!! I am so "precise" about the way I take care of my babies lol. I know that they are in great hands, but shoo wee is it ever nerve-wracking!! We will be gone for 10 days :hammer: I told him to be sure and send pictures and videos....it's going to be weird waking up and not walking out to the barn and hearing them whining! Anyone else have a hard time separating from their herd or am I just looney? ;-)

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Oh…I worry when I go. But I have been a farm sitter for others as well. Goats are pretty hardy and resilient. We make sure our sitters has phone numbers to contact us if there were an emergency (I was milking 7 goats twice a day and the milk machine died! It was a real relief to be able to call the owner and find out what he wanted me to do.) I also make sure our sitter has numbers for our vet and for a couple of other trustworthy goat people. I also make sure they had plenty of feed, etc. to last while we were gone. Lastly, I try to write out my care instructions simply and concisely. Too much verbage (ie. a whole paragraph explaining why I should use a certain temp of water) is daunting! Do the explaining in person and keep the written stuff brief and to the point.

Everything went well when I was a sitter, even when I had to contend with boo-boo or a broken fence or a broken milk machine. And my goaties have thrived when I have left them with someone else.

It will all turn out ok and your furry friends will be just FINE. (((((Hugs)))))

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your kind words!! :grouphug: It's great to have others that understand the feeling. He has our numbers and plenty of straw, hay, and feed, along with all meds and dewormers (hopefully they won't be needed) He went through a couple days of "on site" training so he should be prepared. I also have a dry erase board with a lot of general info on it in case he runs into trouble (med dosages, temp, etc). I'm sure that all will run smoothly and my babies will be fine!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to be gone for a few days. I had trained my girlfriend on what to do and talked her through worse case scenarios. My little goats were out of whack while I was gone and my billy got out of the pen but he stayed around where the girls were. The girlfriend handled all like a pro and did a great temporary repair job on the fence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts