Leftover feed? Feeding Q's.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by riaketty, Feb 26, 2009.

1. riaketty

riaketty New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Millersport, Ohio
    We feed with individual buckets and with the ladies tied so we know what they're getting. But they leave feed leftover? Does this mean I'm feeding too much?

Currently the two Nubian does (due March 8th and "maybe" bred) are getting 3 pints of grain, a T of Diamond yeast, a handful of sunflower seeds, and a bit of dry oats. The Saanen doe, who is not bred, gets 2 pints grain, 1 T yeast, a few seeds and a few oats. The two 8wk kids are getting a few handfuls of grain and about 1/2 T of yeast.

So, there's leftovers. Should I dump it? Give it in the evenings, giving each goat their own leftovers? Cut down on feed?

Edit: Hay (1/2 grass, 1/2 alfalfa) and water are free choice. The grain is 12% protein. Minerals is Purina Goat Minerals and baking soda, free choice.
  2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    what do you mean by pints of grain? I'm a bit confused how you can measure it in pints... sorry :?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    1 pint =2 cups so 3 pints would be 6 cups to me thats more then they need

if they arent eating it then dont waste it, cut down the amount to 4 cups and then see if they eat it all.
  4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, that sounds like a bit much to me--I agree with Stacey, I would reduce the amount little by little until they're cleaning it all up.

If the Saanen doe is not bred or lactating, I would probably cut her grain ration in half at least and see how she reacts. Try encourage her to eat more hay...dry does tend to get fat on grain...and then they're difficult to breed.
  5. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Great idea keeping them separated at feeding time so that you know everyone gets their fair share!

Maybe this will help? My nubian milker gets 1 lb of grain mix, 2 times a day on the milk stand. The grain mix is Oats, cracked corn and BOSS. She eats it all, no leftovers, and I am finished milking and dipping her teats by the time that she finishes.

I have another doe, FF, who is due the end of March, the pen mate to the nubian. I started to gradually up her grain, and she's at 1/2 pound 2 times a day on the milkstand. This gets her used to the milkstand, and I handle her udder and teats while she's there, simulate the milking action so that when she kids, I won't have to add the stress of her learning milkstand behavior to everything else.

After both of them are done with their grain, they share 1 and 1/2 pounds if alfalfa pellets in their pen, free choice hay, water, minerals and baking soda. My hay sounds pretty much like what you're feeding.

I know that there's supposed to be a rule of thumb for graining, based on milk production, but if you don't have the goat currently in milk it's a little bit tricky to try and guesstimate how much grain to feed based on the amount of milk they're will produce. Especially if the goat is a first freshener. I would cut back on the grain gradually, until they clean up what they have without leftovers.
  6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    if they arent in milk you only need to give them enough to keep the goat in good condition. usualy just a couple cups if anything at all.

My Mia gets fat easily but right now i have no way to keep her from getting grain - she doesnt need it but she gets it hence she is nice and fat and didnt take her breeding (she always takes on the first time) so I need to put her on a diet but that means getting up earlier so I have the time to separate her :ZZZ: :shades:
  7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

6 cups!!!! omg!

i'm sorry but i was taught by my dear friends and breeder mentors to never give grain unless the doe is in the third trimester ( in which she gets 1 cup -standard and mini) or when she is lactating ( 1 cup standard, and then 1 cup for each pound of milk - again for standards and minis)

i give grain maybe 2x week in small quantities( handfuls) to drys, kids, and early pregnancies.

bucks get a handful once a week.

i feed alot of alfalfa pellets and hay

forgot to add: my "cup" is a 1/2 pound can. it's a pinto bean can than i cleaned up and weighed feed.
  8. riaketty

riaketty New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Millersport, Ohio

This is what confuses me... What is equivalent to one pound?
  9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    1 pound is aprox 4 cups
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    cut back and see how much... they will eat at one time ...with no waste .......
    keep cutting back ..until there is no waste ......to get a happy medium... :wink: :greengrin:
  11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    ok I see now! Sorry about the pint confusion. It's just over here we measure liquids in pints (well more often litres now that we're part of Europe) and our pints are different sizes to US pints anyway =] and we measure solids by lbs or kilos.

So I would give Whisper about 1 kilo (or 2 lb ish) of grain a day, and she is lactating. and a full sized Saanen doe. She would eat more, but I cant afford it!!!
  12. Candy

Candy New Member

We were taught as kids, "A pint a pound, the world around"
    Candy :sun:
  13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    SDK, take into consideration the climate too, your in sunny California, which this person may be in cold Canada, where animals need to consume more to upkeep their bodies.
  14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I always went by the "pint a pound" thing as well.....a pint is 2 cups liquid, but when going by weight it is 1 pound. As of now my preggy girls get all the hay they want and they each get a "pint" of grain, my milker is giving me a pint a day so she gets 2 pints of grain...1 for her and 1 for the milk. Dry does as well as bucks get 1/2 cup of grain and all the hay they want. So far theres not been any waste and they all seem to be in good condition. My does are fed separately and my bucks are supervised when fed...so they each get what they should.
  15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    a 1lb of coffee is 4 cups so that is how I went about it. never actually weighed the grain to see how much 1lb would actually be :shrug:
  16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Weight is an "iffy" type thing when going by the pint and cup measure. A coarser pellet type feed will weigh less than the "meal" or finer textures such as the "mix your own". Flax, BOSS, and the rolled oats would weigh more with the same measure because of the finer texture.

IDK...Sort of like weighing 2 cups of cornmeal and 2 cups of BOSS....Both the same amount but the meal would weigh more.

Too much math involved...lol and I thot that while in school I would never have a use for "math" lol
  17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    thats why I rather go with cups then 1lbs :shades:
  18. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    I'm with you on this one. We don't grain dairy goats because it causes the breast bone to seperate and widen which is not good if you're showing. We only grain our girls on the milk stand after they kid and we only give them enough to keep them occupied long enough to be milked. I have a first freshner feeding quads right now with no shortage of milk so the little bit of grain she's getting on the milk stand is plenty obviously.