The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a quick video with my phone this weekend of the boys enjoying the acid... errr I mean water of the Yakima. Found a great lil place about 10 miles from home that has a nice lil sandy beach and is shallow for at least 50 feet out. The current is nice and slow and the water temp is nice enough to play all day in without getting cold. The quality is low and my lord I sound like a dork but figured Id post a link to the vid anyways :)

·
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took Legion and Fun Boy out today and was shocked when Legion just walked out to me when I wasnt even calling for him. Everyone else (two nieces and my daughter) including Fun Boy were on the beach and I was just standing about 20 feet out talking. Legion had been playing with Fun Boy one second and just turned and walked down the beach and right into the water. I looked at him and said "What are you doing buddy?" and he walked the rest of the way out to me as if he wasnt even in water. I think this was his 5th trip to the water :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it! :eek: How in the world did you get them to tolerate the water like that. Mine detest water.!

·
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh so do mine! We get about 10 inches of rain here per year and at even the slightest mist of rain, all the goats run for cover as if they were getting burned by acid! :)

Here is how I did it. First time I actually carried Legion out into the water. The cool thing about this place you can walk out at least 50' but maybe even as much as 100' before it would force them to start swimming. Which Legion did on that same day. He followed me out to the point where he would half to start swimming and I stopped and he kept going. After a few seconds of swimming he would turn around and come back. Id pet him and he would stay for a second and then try another hoof at swimming. :) Did it 5 times and I walked him back to shore. Anyways, back to the process. Walked out till I figured it would get to deep and lowered him into the water. Talking and petting him the whole time. The first few steps he took he tried to walk on top of the water. The idea of not being able to see what he was walking on kinda confused him. But once he started moving, he took right too it. Stay out there walking him around and petting him for about 5 mintues. Then he followed me back to shore. More petting and talking. Waited a few minutes and then grabbed Fred and carried him out the same distance. My niece stayed on shore with Legion. Fred didnt like it at much but made him stay out there the full 5 minutes. Walked him back, petted, talked... Did this all again but on the second time of taking Fred out, I had my niece come with me. We got about 10 feet into the water, I called for Legion and with a call back, he entered the water and followed us out to the drop point. The 4 of us walked up the river a couple 100 yards, found a good place where they could eat but still be a little in the water and we played there for about 15 mins. The boys ate from the water and even started to play a little. And that is about all it took. Over a weeks time and 5 trips to the river, he learned water wasnt to bad :) I think a big part of it is the temp of the water. There were times some of Legions swim buddies (Fred, Justice, Fun Boy) would start to shiver and we would have to head to shore but Legion never shivered when out in the water. Now the shivering could of been more nerves then water temp as the Yakima must be running at least 70-80 degrees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts