The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, new to the forums and having a great time trolling em :) Though I would introduce myself and my pack goat Legion. Id introduce our dairy goats as well but as we run anywhere from 50-100 at any given time, I figured Id just stick to one goat at this time. And after nearly 20 years of breeding ADGA registered dairy Does, its a nice change of pace to focus on a boy for a change.

Legion is currently about 16 months old and is an American Alpine. As of the first of June he stood 36 inches at the shoulder and weight taped in at 185 lbs. He was my pick from our first year of selling pack goat prospects. I figured if I was going to sell them, I should at least have a few of my own to show off :)
Legion was born a full week early and ended up having one whole side of his rib cage broken by his dam in an effort to get him to stand. He was rushed inside, bathed and per the vets orders, left un wrapped. The worry of a punctured lung was to great. A sucker for an underdog, I figured he wouldnt make it but I was going to help him fight. And then a few hours later something unbelievable happened. He stood up on his own! And to make it even more amazing, when offered a bottle he drank as if he had been drinking off a bottle for weeks. I knew right then and there, this was going to be my pick for my first pack goat. :) So without further ado...

Here are a few youtube video links.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
He's really gorgeous and it is really cool that you get to use him for a pack goat after saving him as a kid.

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ya :) I am very lucky. His personality is amazing. He does great around just about anything. That pic with the kids is a 4H group we did a clinic for. The home owner had 8 dogs that would run around and bark and it didnt bother Legion in the least. He only present his horns (trained to do so in case of a bigger aggressive dog) once to the most curious dog and that was enough (as it often is with most dogs). This was his first outing in 6 months and he just chilled the entire time. I set up a hi line but after a few minutes I let him off and he spent the entire day just standing next to me not once getting into anyone stuff, or messing with stuff on the tables. I swear he acted like an old man :) Am a proud papa for sure

and HOWDY again!!! :) and let me just say WOW! You are so lucky! Training em on the beach! Those videos are great :) I need to move outta this desert and find me a place as beautiful as that area!

Oh found a picture of Legions mama :)

Attachments

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Meet some of the other mama's :) Its picture year so only have a few pics from like 2 or 3 years ago.

Attachments

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah ty :) And ya they is pretty big. That was the main factor in deciding to start selling pack goats. Confirmation, size and vigor are the 3 most important things with pack goats. And we inadvertently produced that through our dairy breeding program so it just seemed logical to move into the pack goat field. And I am so glad we did. Am having a blast with the pack goats. Not to mention as a male of my species, I finally get to pal around with some "boys" who dont pee on themselves and stink most of the year :)

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to have a string of 4 for hunting but am not sure Ill allow myself to have 4. Thats a lot of extra food to feed 4 goats that will only be seriously used for 10 days during the year unless I merge into other hunting areas like fowl. In any event, I did pick one out for myself this year but his personality is quite a bit different then Legions so I may just have to skip one this year and see what happens next year. Not very often the chill personality shows up.

·
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks!

The first prospects of the year went to a certified master hunter in Olympia. He runs a string of 8 packers and his portfolio is amazing. Pictures of his goats on STEEP mountains packing out Elk and bear and wild goats and deer... If I lived anywhere near a forest and mountains I would sooo have more already. But I live in a flat desert that pretty much shrivels up and dies in May-Oct.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts