Legs bending forward

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tapsmom, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    I also wondered this, but thought it might be too uncomfortable for the goat ...

But I could not see any bend on the second photo, that with the whole goat. Beautiful animals; I would also like to keep them!

2. Tapsmom

Tapsmom Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Litchfield County, CT
    Thank you guys very much for your suggestions and compliments. We have been working to improve our herd and we are starting to see some good results. I did start Gaia on the Replamin to see if that helps.
    Have many if you used the Borax foe the clicking joints? I have 2 does that click when they walk. I had them retested for CAE and they still came back negative
    .so I am wondering about trying that.

3. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Yes, I have, and I can say it really will work if lack of boron is a cause. You can have more than one issue going on at the same time, though. Clicking joints is a symptom of many things (kinda like a fever)

Our soils are boron deficient. I now add Borax to my lose mineral mix.

This stops joint damage from boron deficiency. It supports joint health in general. It does not cure clicking from all causes, however.

toth boer goats and Trollmor like this.
  4. Tapsmom

Tapsmom Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Litchfield County, CT
    Dumb question..How do you check for Boron deficiency?

Trollmor likes this.
  5. mariarose

Dumb answer. I was only responding to a persistent arthritis problem in my herd that wasn't CAE related. Over the years I tried everything I knew to alleviate it, trusting the loose mineral companies to know about trace minerals. Here on TGS I learned about Borax, and I tried it. It worked. Now I give it in addition to the loose minerals because I've learned this area needs boron supplementation. Sometimes you still have to add something, even with the best minerals.

Hard when the answer is "try it and see if it helps" Not very definitive, is it? Cobalt is somewhat the same way. Except time has allowed cobalt to be more accepted than boron. I am convinced one day boron won't be more of a surprise than other minerals.

Trollmor likes this.
  6. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Where doe one get boron?

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Borax. For laundry.

mariarose likes this.
  9. mariarose

http://images.csmonitor.com/csm/2014/08/ludwigvan.png?alias=standard_900x600
    For a standard sized goat with suspected deficiency I give 1 teaspoon a week. As above, I add to the mineral mix for a maintenance dose, or 1/2 teaspoon per week if giving individually.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. mariarose

Please forgive the Beethoven portrait. I was discussing him with someone and it must have lurked in my copy-paste system. I'm leaving it in because It's making me laugh right now, that a grumpy dead composer, brilliant as he was, should be a source of boron! (I suppose his bones could have been???)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Trollmor likes this.
  11. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

I was trying to figure that one out. lol Nothing I read about boron had anything to do with him.:) I thought mayne he was a foriegn investor in Turkish borax mines, a long time ago.

Iluvlilly!, Tapsmom and mariarose like this.
  12. mariarose

Nice plot twist!

Iluvlilly! and Dwarf Dad like this.
  13. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  14. mariarose

What season is Boron Season at your farm? Is it winter?

15. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Usually late winter through early summer.

mariarose likes this.
  16. Tapsmom

Tapsmom Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Litchfield County, CT
    Thank you everyone. I am testing out the Borax with my 2 "clickers" and we are supplementing Gaia with the Replamin and are putting in a call to the vet as well. She took 2nd place in her class of dry yearlings yesterday and Reserve Champion Nigerian Dwarf for Junior does. So I am truly hoping this is just a minor setback.

Dwarf Dad and mariarose like this.
  17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Hey @Tapsmom , how did your goat with the legs bending forward turn out?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  18. Tapsmom

Tapsmom Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Litchfield County, CT
    It seems to have rectified. Her legs are in the correct direction. I will post a picture as soon as I can figure it out. Lol. I am trying to post from my phone..but it is not cooperating.

19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    What did you do for it? How long did it take?

20. Tapsmom

Tapsmom Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Litchfield County, CT
    We kept a close eye on hoof trimming just in case that was the issue and also kept her on doses of Replamin. But I am not sure how long it took because my mother was in ill health so the care feel to my children and they were not watching to see when it corrected itself.