The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any chance lemon rinds from fresh squeezed lemons would be eaten by goats if they were minced up? I have plenty that I will be throwing out when I squeeze them this year. I bet if they would eat them they would be as good as garlic. Responses please.

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of mine eat them, and orange peels. You wouldn't have to mince them.
Do you cut them up or give whole (half) rind? Don't you think it make have some good properties like garlic and such?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you cut them up or give whole (half) rind? Don't you think it make have some good properties like garlic and such?
I would just cut the halves in half again to make quarters. Some of my goats love peels, others not so much. Yes there are good properties to them. Lemon oils help keep their blood count up.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
  • I feed spent grain from a local brewery. one time they made a specialty beer using lemons. i didn't know about the lemons and the lemons were covered with grain. i dumped the barrels and when i saw that half the barrel was lemons i didn't know what to do. i decided that the goats and sheep would not like them and they would petrify , I was wrong the next day they were all gone.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I use a lot of lemons and my goats all love the peels. I always buy organic, and if they were not organic I would scrub them well.
Quarters or eighth go down easy.

·
TKC Farms
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use a lot of lemons and my goats all love the peels. I always buy organic, and if they were not organic I would scrub them well.
Quarters or eighth go down easy.
Right now I have plenty lemons. I have 3 trees and they make close to a thousand a year. I give away most. They are the Sanbocan lemons and very large. The 3 trees are from cuttings I did while I had my nursery. When I finish my landscaping my farm I close the nursery and these 3 lemons where some of the left overs I didn't give away and I planted them in my back yard. I will finish squeezing 5 seven gallon buckets this weekend for our next years supply of lemon juice. I drink a lot of lemon water with meals and just for my nightly drink while watching TV. I drink probably a quart a week of lemon juice in water. My doctor says what ever I'm doing keep it up. It seems to help my joints.
Food Tableware Ingredient Fruit Natural foods
Food Ingredient Recipe Wood Natural foods

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
We made our annual garlic/lemon elixir for people. You blend 4 whole lemons and 40 cloves of garlic with 2 liters of water, bring to a boil and strain. Take a shot glass before your main meal for 3 weeks, one week break, then another 3 weeks.
It is said to regenerate the whole body, and is especially beneficial against any calcification, bad eyesight and hearing problems.
Anyway, it says to discard the pulp. I tried the goats, and it disappeared within seconds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts