The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two doe kids joining us next week. We are fencing off a space directly next to the main pasture for them to live for a short time before we move them to the main pasture. We have guard llamas and other yearling does and want to give them time to get used to the kids (14 and 10 weeks old) with a fence between them before we move them into the same pasture. We are very familiar with the farm they are coming from and trust that they don't have anything. How long would you say they need to be in this transition pin? Are they still too young to be with the other goats?

·
Super Moderator
59,610 Posts
They are definitely too young to be with older goats. I think you will have to judge on timing but I bet at minimum a couple of months. They need to be able to get in there and get their hay and everything.

·
Registered
17,203 Posts
They are definitely too young to be with older goats. I think you will have to judge on timing but I bet at minimum a couple of months. They need to be able to get in there and get their hay and everything.
They do not need to be away from adult does for a couple months, provided that they are not runts. My alpine kids are normally 60+ lbs by 8 weeks, on nothing but their mothers milk, hay and water. My bottle babies are about 45+lbs by 8 weeks. And they are only about 6 inches shorter than the adults by that age/size.

But I'd quarentine for 3 weeks or so, if you are worries about disease, but with the goats I buy from my friends, I know for a fact that they have a clean herd, so I just put them right in with my other goats.

·
Premium Member
28,369 Posts
I picked up a new kid and she went right in with the herd. I never separate mine - they all learn to get along MUCH better this way.

My herd is around 12 now with most of them being "adults" (dry yearlings and milkers). I also have 8 kids.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts