The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Registered Boer Goats
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 year old boer doe kidded a month early yesterday. Kid had no hair and was stillborn. 24 hours has passed and she was has not passed her afterbirth. Is it possible she still has a kid in her that she will carry to term? She is still big.

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
I have heard it's possible. Not sure at what point in gestation this can actually happen. This late in pregnancy I would think no as the contractions to deliver the dead fetus would more than likely effect the viability of any other.
You can try to bounce her to see if there is another fetus...stand behind her just to one side and bend over her putting your hands in front of her udder , flat against her belly. Lift the belly and let it fall keeping hands in place. If there is another fetus you may feel it hit your hand. May need to move your hands to a few different spots. It's not 100% but worth a try.

How is mom acting? Is she up and eating drinking with the herd? Is there any discharge there?

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
Registered Boer Goats
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doe still has not dropped placenta. I tried lifting up on her stomach to feel if there was another kid in there but not sure of the results. I think I'll take her in tomorrow to be ultrasounded. If there is nothing in there they'll probably dose her with oxytocin to get her to pass the placenta. I'm sure hoping for a heartbeat though!

·
Registered
Registered Boer Goats
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vet recommended I go ahead and give the doe oxytocin--which I did last night. I figured she's deliver a dead kid and placenta but she has delivered nothing as of noon today. The only other possible explanation is that she ate it all--every bit--since I can find not a trace anywhere. Really weird.

Thanks to all who responded. If anything else happens with her I'll let you know. Her due date was May 2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts