Lesson Learned - One Must Have Patience

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by turtlebutte goats, May 12, 2010.

1. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    OK, this isn't exactly goat related, but I bet sure could be applied. We had a lamb born Monday night. Yearling momma rejected the lamb, didnt let her nurse or have anything to do with her. Momma even tried killing her. My wife and I brought the baby lamb in the mud room and got her settled for the night. We tried for two hours to get her to take a bottle, but it didn't work. The next morning we both had to get to work early, and since I have my own office, I brought the lamb in to work with me. Mid morning, I got her to take a bottle, and all was right. Another bottle just after noon and another mid afternoon.
    We both talked on the way home of what our options were. I was totally convinced we would have a bottle lamb in the next house for the next few weeks. To make matters worse, my wife was getting ready to leave for a week to visit her mom and sisters, leaving me to do all the chores.

We both went to the pasture and tried to put the two back together, but momma again wouldnt have anything to do with her. I gave up after an hour....BUT.....my wife stuck it out.......

Two hours later, I went to the lambing shed and found Beccy watching the baby lamb nursing off of momma. This would have been about 20 hours after the momma rejected her lamb as well as not seeing her for that entire time.

I was totally suprised that momma took back her lamb after that amount of time. Everything I have read about sheep says that its just a matter of a few hours. I would presume this could be done with goats too. Has anyone ever had this type of situation happen with goats where they claimed their babies after this amount of time separated?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Patience is a Virtue! Yes, I have seen goats take kids back after being separated , my goat buddy Steph has had to take babies in the house becauise of them not being strong enough to eat with siblings... the mom's took them back after a ferw days separation.

3. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    My goat's weakest baby, Daisy, was rejected and mommy stepped on her various times.

She took her back 12 hours later and they've been good ever since.

4. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    that is good to know, but I don't know how likely i would be to try it out if the mom was totally violent toward the baby. I might take a chance with a buckling, but not a doeling. Of course i have the luxury of a fairly flexible schedule, so i could bottle-raise a baby.

Just as an aside, why would I NOT want a bottle-raised baby? Are they too difficult to incorporate back into the herd later?

I am hoping all my does are nice to their babies. (and that they are pregnant in the first place lol) I only have one FF, so the 'old' girls should know what is going on.

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Zoomom,

HaHaHA. A few weeks of being in the house? My sheep Moose took 3 months to evict. He could beat us to the door and would stand in front of the fireplace. (his diaper bag was there.) I'd put a diaper on and off he'd run to his pillow in front of the couch. He LOVED animal planet. :sigh: I think we watched more animal planet in those 3 months than in the past two years. :laugh: We had fun though. He's still my big baby. :love:

Gina

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so happy you had a good outcome. How are they doing now? At least your life will be easier while she is gone. :cool:

7. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Can I ask how your wife got the ewe to accept the lamb back? Did she just sit there with them or tis mom up and let lamb drink..forcing mom to put up with it? I am interested in knowing how this was done.

8. turtlebutte goats

turtlebutte goats New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    The momma and baby lamb are doing great! I am going to leave them alone in the lambing shed one extra day to continue to bond and so the little one can get a little more strength before returning to the rest of the herd.

Itchysmom, Beccy took them into the shed and put some pure alfalfa in for the ewe to eat. While she was eating, Beccy slowly got in the lambing jug and pushed her against a panel and pulled the baby over and stuck her head up near the teats. The baby knew what to do, however momma kept circling and moving away from the baby. Beccy kept this game up with momma for a long time, but kept at it. Eventually the momma quit resisting as much and came around.