The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide if CoCo is big enough to breed yet. I'm very nervous about it since this would be the first time I bred one of my babies. All the others had already had kids before. I know she is alteast 9 months old probably 10 or 11. I got her and her mom Posie when she was still nursing a little but old enough to be weaned. She has reached the 40 lb mark and is having a fit to be bred. She hangs out at the buck pen with her rear to his fence flagging away and screaming. I've read that they should be alteast 40 lbs and 8 months old. Is there anything else like height or width or anything to determine if she should be bred?

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Im new to Nigerians, but from what I read 40# is the min. you want them to weigh and also I read from Stacy that hip width is important too...sounds like she maybe fine to breed....hopefully some one else will chime in on this :D
Also if you scroll down there are threads on this subject you can click..

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
If she's 9 or 10 months old then she should be fine, but I've been also judging by how the doeling looks. I like to see them look somewhat grown up, and like they're close to mature in addition to weighing 40 pounds and being over 8 months. I've been very careful about deciding whether or not to breed mine at that age.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is in love with my pygmy buck but if I breed her I want to breed her to my new nigerian buck "Romeo". He only weighs about 5 lbs mor than she does and is only a few inches taller.

·
Registered
979 Posts
She looks wide and deep...and well porportioned. I'd breed her.
She may only breed to the buck she loves though...so beware of that...

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Yes they sure can breed through a fence lol..and he looks willing to give it a try :D She does look nice and wide at the hips...she is a pretty thing! Andyour buck is handsome, love his long hair

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took her over to Romeo and put her in the pen next to his to see if she was interested.she definitely was:) flagged him down and gave him a few tongue flaps back. So I put her in with him . It took about 10 secs. ...lol

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Poor Romeo has been so anxious to breed. He tried breeding a concrete rooster, my mini dachshund male, and me yesterday....lol. I can't wait to see what his babies look like:D

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yer Pygmy buck is gorgeous! Peggy Sue would adore him. Is he registered?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you ever decide to stud him let me know! Can't find a registered buck out here to save my soul. I keep a VERY small tested herd and I would drive the 4 hours for such a great little man.

Peggy Sue is actually "Picture Perfect Passionate Kisses". :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you ever decide to stud him let me know! Can't find a registered buck out here to save my soul. I keep a VERY small tested herd and I would drive the 4 hours for such a great little man.

Peggy Sue is actually "Picture Perfect Passionate Kisses". :D
When were you thinking about wanting to breed her?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
When were you thinking about wanting to breed her?
Depends on yer stud fees. Might take a couple weeks to come up with the moneys. I'd also want to get my tests up-to-date for you.

I have a contract for stud services already, but the buck isn't registered, so I can just breed him to my minimancha instead and save Peg for yer boy. We always go to Augusta around Thanksgiving and Christmas, so it wouldn't even be an extra trip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts