The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 month old buck was laying in the barn today and didn't get up when I went in to feed him. He looks lethargic and didn't want to get up until I made him, his eyes are also half shut and had little but of clear discharge coming from them. He did get up and drink a little water and ate some hay after I gave him a little nitro drench but I don't know why he's like this and wanted to know if anyone had an idea of how he's sick?

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
my bucks will sleep like they are dead...some times I have to go in the pen and reassure myself they are ok...Hopefully your little man did the same..They can he hard sleepers and act lethargic for a minut or two until fully awake...

But Yes..get his temp ...in case he may have a touch of pneumonia ...

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
We really need more information. Do you have loose goat minerals out for them? What type of hay and grain? When was the last time you had a fecal done? When was the last time you wormed them and with what and at what dosage? What is his temp?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His temp is 103.4 I've been raising fainting goats for awhile and I've never seen any of them like this his eyes appear a little puffy and he doesn't want to open them all the way and not unless I make him get up he doesn't want to get up

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wormed them 3 weeks ago and he's been out in the pasture recently eating grass but I did give them a little bit of alpha/ orchard grass mix the other day when it was rainy out

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
what did you worm with and how much?
is he chewing a cud..?? grinding his teeth, hunched backed, hows the color of his lower inner eye lids? pooping berries, peeing just fine?
Temp is on the high end of normal..I would keep a close eye on that..recheck a few times a day...Silent pneumonia can spike a fever then drop is low...be ready wtih Nuflor (rx) or Tylan 200 incase he needs antibiotics..
offer him electrolytes and gree leaves to help keep his strength up incase heis working on illness...
A shot of B complex to help his appitite and energy will help..

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Without pics, it is hard to say.

Pinkeye
Something in the eyes, dirt, foreign object
scratches in the eye
allergies
Sore mouth if scabbing is present

His temp is OK, give probiotics and fortified vit B complex shot US for a few days. His rumen may be off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts