The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one goat, Echo isn't feeling good. Went for a walk Saturday night and she was a bit off. Did everything and noticed a wet mark in hay shed and looked at feet, had poop on shoes. Then I saw it in the field, she had diarrhea. So I gave her some electrolytes and a pepcid and crossed fingers for her to be better the next morning. Took her temperature and it was 101.5.

Turns out she wasn't. Normally a white tail was brown - she had really bad diarrhea over the night. Gave her more electrolytes and another pepcid. She drank and ate some.

So glad I've taught them to tie at the fence, chasing a goat to put a thermometer in their sore butt is not going to happen - about as easy as chasing a chicken. One lap around the barn and I got the halter. Then I cleaned her up, little tail was going back and forth, hit me in the face, flicked stuff around...not pleasant for anyone.

When I got back, poop was slowing getting back to normal, more of the same stuff and by last night, there were clumps. Temperature was a bit off I think, it said (I think) 100.5 or something. Not sure if that was my skills or her actual temp. Before I went in gave them each (2 twin Boers) half of a vitamin C tablet. She was eating a good bit of hay and didn't want to disrupt getting her gut full and back to normal.

Now she's got normal poop, eating hay and leaves, drinking, but still just not normal. Walking slow and just off, they've been in the barn laying down. Nice day out, thought they'd be outside in pasture, but they are chewing cud.

Today I gave her 5 ml of B complex oral gel. Called vet and soonest they can come is tomorrow. Her temp is 101.8., but just not going to wait longer, especially with the weather getting hotter. Thankfully she had the worst of it during cooler days.

Anything else I should do?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the probios on hand, but saw it was in the B complex syringe I have. Is there a special kind/brand that works best? I think I saw some in the horse aisle at TSC.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the eyelid and it looks like a 3 or 2. After reading up on the symptoms, it does sound like maybe she's anemic. They said they lose their spark and are more zombie like and tired, that would be her.

Whatever the vet needs to do tomorrow, we'll do. Fecal for sure.

They do have access to free choice minerals, the Manna Goat Mineral. And they were good about eating it.

Vet should be here tomorrow afternoon - should I be running out and buying stuff or keeping her happy and eating with what I have here? She's eating hay and the leaves I've been giving her.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So Echo is feeling better - temp good, stool good, eating like a champ again, running and more like her pushy self.

Unfortunately, looks like Nyx, her sister, got whatever she had. Same symptoms, being "off", walking slow, sleeping more, then the diarrhea. Treating her the same as Echo, since the vet will be here tomorrow afternoon. Her temp was 103.9. It's hot here, in the high 80s and humidity is coming back. She's still eating, some hay and gave some leaves. Gave her a pepcid and some of the vitamin B complex gel. I'll ask the vet tomorrow about the vitamin b injection.

I did not give either the red cell at this time.

I was thinking I should have given the other twin some of the stuff I gave the first sick one. A pepcid wouldn't have hurt, right? I only give one every 8 hours or so, if that. Oh, hindsight...

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
If these are young goats.. have the fecal done to include coccidia. The blahs and poop issues sometimes come with it. The higher end temp could just be that it is hot out like you said... just keep checking it. Like when you go out of a mornin before they are runnin amok. The low temp... could have been early before they were up and about and in the cool shade maybe. But keep checkin that one also. They cannot digest food at low temps. You can listen for rumen sounds... but if they have the poops i am pretty sure you will hear it movin.

I wouldnt go out and get a bunch of stuff if the vet is comin in the next day though. That way you are not makin multiple trips to the store for stuff.

You can give yogurt to them for the poops if you do not have probios on hand. They work well in a pinch.

You can usually find vit b or b complex at the farm supply store too. It is not horrible expensive for a big bottle. Just make sure to get small needles and dont forget the syringes too. :). Bigger number is the smaller needle gauge.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone, always get good advice on here!

Nyx did have more diarrhea over the night, nowhere as bad as her sister, but had to clean up the hind end this morning before work. Temp was good. Worried me when she didn't eat her grain - as I'm sure you all are aware, they love it and would have to be sick to not eat it. Gave her about 5 gram of the probios (first time doing it, so put a scoop in a syringe and mixed with warm water) and some of the B complex gel. She did nibble on some stuff, was walking around, so off to work I went.

Got home and went out to see them, about 4-5 hours later. They came out of barn and immediately both pooped. Happy to say Nyx's was a nice clump, looked like dog poop. Which I'll take, big improvement on the morning. Gave them some leaves to eat while we waited for vet.

Vet arrived and gave her the rundown, she had twin male Boers, so it was great to have a fellow goat owner there. She did a physical and all sounded and looked good, said the eyes were the reddest she's seen in awhile - which made me happy. Temp was good. She gave them some banamine, b complex shot and another shot. While we were waiting, both started chewing cud and the other sister gave some more healthy poop.

She just called and said the fecal looked good, small amount of strongyles in it, but since their eyes looked so good, she said she'd probably wait and do another fecal in a couple months. I agree with her.

She left me with the bottle of banamine for any future uses and some needles and let me give them the one shot, which was great cause I wouldn't have thought goat skin was so thick. I had given my diabetic and renal cats shots and it's a totally different feel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts