Lethargic 4m goats problems standing

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Allison, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Allison

Allison Crazy Goat/Cat lady

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My friend has two Nubian dwarf goats from the same liter. The Mom didn't like the the wether so he was bottle raised. They are about 4 months old. They have had their CDT shots. One girl one wether.

When I first met them they didn't seem like normal spunky goats like mine were as babies. They seem a little lethargic. She is just giving them good quality Timothy hay. No grain.

They had some trouble standing getting up. Took to the vet and started treating for goat polio. Did the full treatment for that.

I told her it might be selinium deficiency but I don't know if that causes lethargic behavior. She says they don't run around and play like normal baby goats.

She is going to start giving them slowly some grain.

I will be going to see them tomorrow is there anything I should look for? She will be taking them back to the vet soon. I'll take their temp when I get there.

They have no parasites and were tested for that. I'm going to make sure she treated for selenium. But other than that anyone have any idea??? I'm so worried for her. I was thinking maybe low energy from no grain? But she does give them a handful of BOSS everyday. They get minerals and eat them up.

I have a vit A, B, E Gel that I'll bring as well as nutri drench and a selinium vit e Gel. I'm going to have her test for CAE as well.

Could it be the lack of grain for growing babies? They just aren't spunky and don't play and just seem like tired? And have problems standing up. This has been going on for about a month. The breeder said there isn't a problem with any of the other kids. But she might think that's regular behavior? Idk?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did the vet check for coccidia when the fecal was done? Selenium won't hurt to give. A B complex shot would be good. Daily probiotics for a week.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good advice.

Did you get a temp?

4. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    How long has your friend had them? Can you describe the difficulty getting up? Are their back legs working? Vitamin B Complex is a good thing to use to increase appetite and energy levels.

5. Allison

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    They have been getting the b injection for awhile. When I saw them today they were copper deficient so I gave them a copper bolus. The wether looked a bit bloated pic attached. They were walking fine when I saw them and got up and down fine. Very friendly but not normal baby goats. They don't play, they have a really nice playground to play on but don't play on it.

I gave them probiotics, selenium vit e Gel, multi vitamin gel and copper bolus. The multi vitamin has a, e, b12

They also get loose minerals.

They had already gotten thiamine or b vitamin treatment for a while for possible polio.

She does have elk and white tail deer since polio and CAE were ruled out I think she should try to treat for meningococcal? worm. Don't know if spelling is correct.

I figure the Safeguard treatment for that type of worm won't hurt. It's 10 times the normal dose for 5 days right? I'd rather her be safe than sorry.

And yes they got tested for all worms seen in poop and were fine.

They were also very skinny. Hardly any fat. But the wether had a big belly. I took a pic. They don't look super skinny in these pics but you can feel their whole spine very spikey as well as no fat on hips or chest. She starting them slowly on grain. They had only bee not getting hay. I'm thinking maybe they were malnourished? And low energy from no grain? They haven't grown hardly any in the month since they got them. They just arent growing.

Isn't grain kind of required for growing babies?

Is the safeguard for that one type of worm a good idea? I told her to give more probiotics in a couple days. And to slowly start giving grain. They have free choice baking soda and minerals.

What do you think of this stomache? I tapped it and it wasn't super hard or anything?

Attached Files:

6. Allison

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Back legs working it's more like they just have trouble getting up sometimes. Today they were fine. It's like overal weakness that sometimes they fall down. She has had them since about 3 months. They are 4 months now and are not growing.

7. ArborGoats

Jan 24, 2013
    Do you know how much they weight/how tall they are to get a reference on their size? The first thing I think of with not growing is coccidia, but if the vet check for that then I don't know. Not all vets check for it in a fecal, especially if they are predominantly a small animal clinic that doesn't see coccidia often, but if your does that is great!
    If its not hard it could just be he ate a lot...did you get a temp while you were there?

goatblessings likes this.
  8. Allison

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA

I forgot to get the temp :( I asked her to do it when she gets home. The bet did test for coccidia and it was negative.

Do you think it's wise to treat for the white tail deer worm? I just feel like there's no harm and since we can't figure out what's else is wrong. I feel like it's either that because that one effects the brain as well as spine so that might effect them being lazy and not playing or running. Or malnutrition and low energy because of that.

9. ksalvagno

Without knowing what she is feeding and how much along with supplements, it is really hard to say.

10. Allison

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    She has always had free choice minerals for them. They were getting fed a grass Timothy blend hay that her neighbors grow.

I told her she should have hay available for them all day long. She just like this week started feeding them a grain mix that has like peas, oats, BOSS and some other stuff n it.

11. ksalvagno

Did she not have hay available to them all day?

12. ArborGoats

Jan 24, 2013
    If they aren't getting enough hay spaced out during the day and then they are "gorging" on it, I could see how that would make for super full rumens twice a day and not gaining as much weight as needed. Goats are browsers and do best with the abilities to eat a bunch of little meals during the day and sit and digest/ruminate in between. They are less efficient otherwise.

13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If they are thin with distended bellies, coccidia still comes to mind. I would run another fecal to make sure. Also look into white muscle disease - lots of info out there. Something is wrong, a vet would be in order here for a total evaluation - I get nervous with kids, they can go downhill so fast. I always give growing kids a high quality hay with pelleted goat grain for nice growth along with free choice minerals. Kids can go downhill quickly, getting to the cause of the problem is extremely important. Just me - I like to see robust kids, and if they are off, it's a worry.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is the wether peeing? The diet they are getting may not be right and the boy may have UC. Not sure with the girl, but a diet that doesn't have a good calcium phosphorous ratio may be why.

I also agree with cocci.

With meningeal worm, they get weak in the rear end. Wobbly. if you suspect it treat right away. Yes safeguard, it is 10 x the dosage, it says 2.3mg per 100 lbs on the tube, so it will be 23mg per 100 lbs for 5 days, along with banamine or Dex for brain swelling, 1 x a day for 3 days. But I am not sure that is it or not can't watch them walk.
    https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...MIqKrW_Ira1gIVV7bACh2EdwXwEAQYASABEgJkjPD_BwE

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  15. Allison

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Yeah I was thinking coccidia as well but they were tested. I'll have her run another fecal with a different vet.

This vet .... pardon my language... is an idiot. He told her they were fine weight wise. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! It's not obvious from the pictures. I just was trying to get a pic of the belly. But they are deffinatly underweight. Backbone sticking out, no fat lad on chest/brisket and hip and pin bones sticking out. I think that might be one reason why the tummy looks so big because they are so skinny.

MAYBE SOME GOOD NEWS:
    She texted me this morning saying they are acting way better and more playful and energetic. I think they weren't getting enough food for growing babies personally. As well as needed some vitamins. I packed those babies full of every vitamin I had! I'm going to tell her if the belly doesn't go down I need size and they aren't back to normal completely to take them to another vet.

She is kinda struggling with money right now. Her husband is disabled and she is the only one who works and she takes care of her mom. I don't want her to go to this vet again (only vet that sees goats within a long long drive) unless it's needed. I'd rather her spend the money on getting a fecal done through like Midrange America and then saving money for any treatment.

I wish I would of grabbed some poop while I was there to mail off a sample so I could pay for it.

She's also going to get some ammonium chloride to put on any grain she gives them while they bulk up. Since one is a wether.

Yes the wether is peeing fine.

toth boer goats likes this.