Lethargic Doe

Discussion in 'TGS Announcements & Help' started by Perri, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Perri

Perri New Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Florida
    My 8ish year old doe became noticeably lethargic around Thanksgiving. I called the vet out shortly thereafter. She administered an antibiotic and some got in artery as goat had a seizure. She administered dex.

my girl didn’t present with a fever, more precautionary...I guess.

I noticed her urine had blood. I asked the vet back out to do a blood draw. Results indicated kidney failure. She told me when she refused to get up to call and she would come out and put her down.

she has yet to refuse to get up. Her appetite is all over the place. I brought in TNA and she ate with alacrity. She has eaten carrots but has no desire for her feed.

Her urine is clear and has a good stream. I took her in (several days ago) and had IV liquids and gave her a B12 shot yesterday. The vet gave me one to administer for two more days.

I see no improvement.

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t want to put her down unless necessary. If there is hope I want to save her.

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I'm sorry I don't have any experience with kidney failure. Is it possibly she is in pain and that's affecting her appetite? B-Complex was a good idea, but I bet a few days of Banamine would really do the trick. But it may be too hard on her kidneys?

What is TNA?

I'm so sorry she is going through this. Did the Veterinarian indicate how long sh may last?

If she were mine I would probably just keep a buffet out for her: buckets of plain water and flavored (molasses of Karo or juice or Gatorade), alfalfa pellets, great hay, pine boughs, tortilla chips.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, kidney failure is a tough one.
    I would try as suggested above.

I am sorry she is so ill.

Use your best judgment.
    If you feel she has given up and in too much pain, maybe it is time to put her down. Prayers sent..

4. Perri

Perri New Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Florida
    Tiffany and Alfalfa. She said straight alfalfa has too much protein and is bad for the kidneys. I will ask about more Bute. Idk if it is bad for the kidneys. I like the idea, though.

She just said when she refuses to stand it is time.

I didn’t think about her being in pain.

For the buffet I think I need to separate her out. Everyone in the pasture would want in on it. She also seems exhausted. I sat down on a bale of hay and she passed out beside me. It’s as if she knows she’s in a weakened state and is worried about predators (Florida Panthers and coyotes).

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Prayers appreciated.

toth boer goats likes this.
  5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Ah yes, when they are ill it's tough to decide if separation is best. Don't want to stress her more but she may be more comfortable, safe, and eat more if she doesn't feel obligated to keep up with the herd.

6. Perri

Perri New Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Florida
    Maybe make a temporary pen out of the hay ring using chicken wire.

I’ve also been giving her purified water. Just as an aside.

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    If its needed, Ask for banamine not Bute. 1 cc per 100# sub q once a day for 3 days.
    How much water is she drinking? Did the vet look at the bloody urine under a mic to see whats going on? There are several reasons for blood in the urine. Can be hard to narrow the cause but here is a link that may help.
    http://kinne.net/redurine.htm

toth boer goats and Perri like this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would also offer her electrolytes as well as fresh water.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    All good advice. I really can’t stand when vets give precautionary antibiotics just because a goat is “off.” If you can get any dandelion, nettle, or parsley tea you can steep it and drench it. That’s all kidney support.

toth boer goats and Perri like this.
  10. Perri

Perri New Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Florida
    Do you give a particular brand of dandelion nettle tea? Will Traditional Medicinals work and what is your steeping method?

Thank you for your reply.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    traditional medicinals is perfect. Follow the directions on the box and then drench.