Lethargic Dwarf Goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Isaiah, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I’m a new owner of 3 Nigerian dwarf goats and the youngest, somewhere around 4-6 months old, acts very lethargic.

I took them all to the vet a couple weeks ago and all were tested and treated for worms (Ivemectin 1%). This was done as soon as I got them so I don’t know how he acted before then. The seller told me all was good when he delivered them but now he won’t return our calls. (In another thread I explained how one of the other goats was delivered with a respiratory infection...all good now).

I see him eat (graze) and drink water. When I put some goat chow in his bowl, he comes to it, takes a few bites and lays beside the bowl and lays his head in it. Then he’ll take a bite and lay his head back down. Only time he makes a sound is when we pick him up. Once we do that he’ll lay his head against our chest and pretty much go to sleep.

his follow up vet appointment is coming up. I’m gonna ask the doctor, but I know we are the only goat owners that see him I’m sure. That’s why I’d like you all’s feedback.

is this normal Behavior?

It’s also hot here in Florida as our temps are reaching 93 (but feels like 102 in the shade according to my weather app). Could the hot weather be it? The other two bigger goats are fine and act like goats.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What is his temp? Do you put out water with electrolytes in it?

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    What’s his FAMACHA score and rectal temp?

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    How many and which worms did the goat have?

5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Another question, did he test for coccidia, and is there a shady place for him to get out of the sun?

6. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I ran to Tractor Supply and for some electrolytes and some energy boost for the 3.
    His temp is 103.3
    His FAMACHA looks to be a 4 to me.

I didn’t have the knowledge before to ask the vet what his original worm count was. They had Haemonchus worms.

His bleat/baa sounds worse than before. It’s barely audible. But he’s eating! While at the store I got some hay that has some molasses in it and he sat there and ate it...but slowly. The other rammed each other to get to it. Lol

7. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Jacksonville, Fl
    not sure if he tested for coccidia. I would assume he did...I hope. And yes they have plenty of shade.

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Maybe make a list of things to ask the vet. Vets are usually in a hurry and I seem to always forget an important question. (I would forget even when I was way younger!) so I write notes and that way you can get needed info quickly and completely.

9. Maybe give him a few doses of Vit B complex orally -works for me and some probiotics. That is one of my first things for anyone not feeling just right. A few days of that might get him feeling better. It is hard when you don't know what is wrong. Good luck with him.

10. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    If his FAMACHA is almost white (4)/ very light pink, it sounds like he's anemic, he needs red cell NOW.
    Anemia will make him lethargic and unresponsive...
    Here's a Famacha chart to check against, but you need to build up his iron and blood values ASAP.

Attached Files:

21goaties likes this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ask the vet if they checked for cocci to make sure.

12. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah New Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Jacksonville, Fl
    So I took him to the vet.

of course the boy has pneumonia and is severely anemic. He tested for worms and still has them (Haemonchus) and found 1 egg of coccidila.

He gave him a different de-wormer (Albon) and I have to take him back in every 2 days for bio-Mycin injections. I’m gonna probably do one visit to see it done and ask him to do it myself. Because I can get a huge bottle for the cost of 2 of his shots from the vet. They seriously overcharge!

I have him isolated now because he’s the second goat to get pneumonia or maybe they both had it when we got them.

Poor baby has no energy and can barely stand. I have to put his food right under him to eat. I hope he makes it. He offered to called the local university to do a blood transfusion but I don’t think my wallet can handle that.

So now she’s being pampered in the garage.

He didn’t even move while at the vet. Stayed in one spot or moved to the corner to hide and stare at the wall.

Attached Files:

14. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Oh no, poor little guy. Based on the pics and what you have described, he needs a blood transfusion.

Albon isn't a dewormer, it is treatment for coccidia.

Did the vet mention anything for anemia treatment other than a blood transfusion? If he is not having that done right away then he needs B12 injections multiple times a day (the vet should be able to sell you a bottle of prescription b12 which is a much higher concentration than the over the counter stuff and what I would recommend.) Also red cell (orally) daily.

Directions/dosages are in the links I sent. For the over the counter b12 (if you have to use it) there are 2 different ones available. You want the one with the highest level of b12. It should say "1000 mcg of B 12" on the back.

He should also be getting high protein food (like alfalfa, you can soak the pellets in water to make a mush and see if he will eat it, can also add molasses). As well as staying hydrated.

For the pneumonia...that and worms is a bad combo. Hopefully the biomycin helps. Due to goats' fast metabolism, I would think that he would need antibiotics more often than every 2 days. You will need to keep a very close eye on his temperature.
    This page is good to read, even though it focuses on large herds there is still important info in there: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/pneumonia06.html

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  15. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Also the above is very true. We have experienced this. A lot of vets do not know all the ins and outs of goats.

16. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Make sure she's warm enough internally! Anemic goats can t regulate their internal temperature well. You need to physically check its temp every 3-4 hours round the clock. If it's in a garage having her on cement will lower her temp. Make sure she's got straw bending to lay on. Use a heating pad if the temp hits 100.5 or lower.
    Give vitamin b twice a day and red cell once a day.
    My vets protocol for anemic goats is 1cc of red cell per 10 lbs until a 3 on FAMACHA scale then once a week until a 1 or 2.
    @21goaties is so right about high protein quality food to help too.
    It's a slow process bringing back an anemic goat and they can have set backs so even after things seem better, stay on top of temp and FAMACHA
    Good luck, I know it will be a hit to the wallet but if your baby gets any worse it'll need that transfusion.

toth boer goats likes this.
  17. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA