Lethargic goat please help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Little Hill Farms, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Little Hill Farms

Little Hill Farms New Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Oregon
    I have been raising goats for a few years now and am learning all the time but this past year my doe lost her kids and I bought her a baby who had been abandoned by his mom and another who was just being sold as a young bottle baby. the one who was abandoned by his mom if named buddy and he never got his colostrum, had hypothermia when he was found in the snow and has never really grown. he is about 25-30 lbs. and a 5-month-old pure Boer wether. he has handed a possible CL infection that he vet treated he has had worms twice right now he has a cut on his leg that is swollen and infected (I am treating it and I don't think it is related). he has always been able to get out of everything and he just goes on a mission to find someone to love on him and if we are not home he goes and waits by the gate for me to come love on him and put him back. for the last month or so he has stopped coming when called and is less interested in following me but I assumed that was just him getting older but now I am realizing he is also kinda lethargic and his bah is hoarse and quieter than normal. when I was bathing him today he has the weirdest poop I had ever seen it was "stringy" all the beads were strung together by what looked like skin almost. I have yet to check his temp. I am worried about him the last he saw the vet, the vet said that with everything that happened when he was born he was surprised buddy had made it this long and I am worried he might be taking a turn for the worse. thanks so much for any information you can give me.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What country are you in?

3. Little Hill Farms

Jul 13, 2019
    Oregon
  4. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

How were these worms treated, was coccidia checked for, and were follow-up wormings done after the initial wormings?
    @ksalvagno Could this be the intestinal lining coming out?
    It isn't helping. I feel pretty awful when I have a swollen infected limb.
    This needs done asap
    @goathiker any insights from an Oregonian about parasites, mineral needs, science?

NigerianNewbie likes this.
  5. Little Hill Farms

Jul 13, 2019
    Oregon
    His worms were treated almost 3 months ago with the safe gaurd dewormer and he was not retreated since this if the first time he has had anything weird since. Checked temp 102.2. I sure hope its not the intestinal lining but i feel like there would haver been blood? The poops looked normal other then being strung together.

6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I've seen strung-together poops before. Some of my kids have had that recently as well. I've never had it checked out, but I'd guess it's probably related to some amount of parasite load. Depending on the condition of the kid I will either give them wormer or I'll wait it out and see if it resolves on its own. It's also possible it could be diet related. A lot of different plants come up in the pastures throughout the summer and these changes are often reflected in the droppings.

It's the "off" behavior combined with the stringy poop that's concerning. If he were bouncy and normal I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it sounds like your little guy is already behind the curve. I'd recommend getting a fecal test done to find out if he's dealing with a parasite load. That will also help you know which wormer to use. Safeguard is pretty good for killing tapeworms, but there are a lot of parasites it doesn't affect.

mariarose likes this.
  7. mariarose

So, 3 months ago he was treated 1 time with one of the forms of Safeguard, and no follow-up 10 days later, right?

Do you know what form the Safeguard was (horse paste, cattle paste, goat liquid, etc) and do you know what the dosage was you gave him? When was the last time he had a fecal check and what did it show?

What is being given to him for his swollen infected leg? Antibiotics can kill normal intestinal fauna, some more than others. How long has he been on antibiotics for this or any other problem?

No. Shedding the intestinal lining does not normally cause blood.

Are you seeing him chewing cud at all? Are you hearing normal rumen rumbling sounds?

That temp is good. I'd keep an eye on it though because if it rises or lowers gives us further clues.

I strongly feel he needs another fecal, to include a coccidia check, especially if he hasn't had one. We also need to know about the antibiotic(s) He's on.

Do you have any Replamin Gel Plus? If not, do you have any Probios? He needs it right now.

Thanks in advance for all the info you can remember. It really will help us to help you.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  8. Little Hill Farms

Jul 13, 2019
    Oregon
    Buddy is fat not stupid fat but definitely has a chubby belly and my goats live on a dry lot since we have a desert type climate. Correct there was no follow up dewormer. I use the goat liquid safegaurd. I dont remember the dosage but it was by wieght and i wieghed him for the correct doesage. He is not on antibiotics i avoid them when ever posible, i cleaned out the wound yesterday and this morning, it doesnt seem to be infected at the surface and the swelling has gone down alot. He has been chewing cud and everything sounds normal in there. I have been giving him probios for 2 days now. Thanks

mariarose likes this.
  9. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Either tapeworm or intestinal lining. With everything else going on, my bet would be intestinal lining. I'd have a fecal done to include coccidia. Get a temp. Is he really far or just a good rumen. There is a difference.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Simce you do not give chemical antibiotics, what natural ones are you using? Garlic is a greatt antibiotic for wounds. It is also antibacterial. I give my goats a clove of garlic every day for immune system support and for the anti-worm properties.
    If you use Essential oils, lemongrass, lavender, and a host of others have been used throughout history for their health benefits.

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  11. Little Hill Farms

Jul 13, 2019
    Oregon
    ksalvagno i got a temp late last night it was normal and still normal this morning. I dont think i understand your last question though. Dwarf Dad i put hydrogen peroxide on it and washed it with water. I rapped it up to prevent anything else gettting in it.

12. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Just to confirm, what was the actual temperature? Normal is 101.5-103.5.

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Did you ever get a fecal after to confirm the worms were treated?

14. mariarose

She meant fat, not far. Some people mistake a good working rumen for being fat. We haven't gotten to know you yet, and can't judge your expertise. We mean no offense, but are learning where you are in knowledge.
    The advice you'll get from many is to use a weak iodine solution rather than hydrogen peroxide, because the peroxide causes damage to the cells that interfere with good clean healing.

Great to hear about the Probios and the rumen sounds. Thank you. I do strongly recommend a fecal that includes cocci and then an appropriate worming. Most worms will respond to an initial worming and then another one 10 days later. If the numbers are high, then another one 10 days after that is beneficial too. Safeguard is no longer the wormer of choice for much of the country. I wish @goathiker was online to chime in with her knowledge of Oregon problems. If you choose to use Safeguard again, then consider also using ivermectin as a second family. The newest research indicates 2 different families work better than 2 times as well as a single family. @SalteyLove can help with that better than I.

May I ask, what minerals does he get? Mineral deficiencies have a lot to do with parasite load and immune system function.

15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    @Dwarf Dad very good insights. I agree — I’m just itching to get some garlic in this goat’s system. I would do 2 cloves daily for 3 days then 1 clove daily continuing on. Raw and freshly crushed.

I would be giving turmeric for inflammation and pain, actually both turmeric and cayenne — cayenne may help with whatever is going on with the poops. Topically you can make a poultice of olive oil, garlic, activated charcoal, raw honey or Manuka honey if you can get it, and bentonite clay or activated clay if possible. Apply to draw out infection topically.

16. Little Hill Farms

Jul 13, 2019
    Oregon
    He has never had a fecal he is fat not just a good rumen. He gets a goat mineral that is made locally but i cant think of the name right now. The vet is going ti come out in a fee days since a few of our showpigs have gone of there feed and have diarrhea so i will add buddy to the list. Thanks for all the great information

17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    If he has never had a fecal how did you know which worms he had or if he had them at all?

18. Little Hill Farms

Jul 13, 2019
    Oregon
    102.2 late at night and then in the morning 101.9

mariarose likes this.
  19. Little Hill Farms

Jul 13, 2019
    Oregon
    The vet told me to worm him woth safeguard and see if that fixed the problem when ibwas woried about the epic amount of diarrhea he had and it fixed the problem so i thought that particular blight of worms was over....

mariarose likes this.
  20. mariarose

good numbers