The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine and asked me for advice on what they should do. This is the info that I got from them. What can they do? The vet cant get out yet. We live very rural so its hard.

"guess they are very lethargic and not eating at all...wouldn't even eat the worm pellets from their hands. The owner had made some rolled oats and warm water for the chickens and was carrying the bucket as she went thru the goat pen...the two boers plunged in and ate their full...this went on for weeks I guess or how ever long it took to go thru a bag of rolled oats. Yesterday they noticed the goats had the runs and hardly moved. "

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sounds bad. :(

If the gorging on rolled oats has been going on for weeks with no ill effects it may not be the problem. Has anything unusual happened in the last 48 hrs?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
They need C D Antitoxin asap..if they dont have any or cant get it...Milk of Magnesia will do good too..15 cc per 60# goat...oral...every 12 hours...Pepto is good to help dry the bum and sooth the gut...15-20 cc each if you are usuing cd antitoxin, if you are using MOM skip the pepto ..B complex is a wonderful support 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in enough water to drench for each sick goat....keep them hydrated and feed hay and greenleaves only..NO FEED!!
'here is a recipe for electros..

Homemade ElectrolytesA half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds bad. :(

If the gorging on rolled oats has been going on for weeks with no ill effects it may not be the problem. Has anything unusual happened in the last 48 hrs?
They said no. I told them to keep thinking on it to make sure they are remembering right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They need C D Antitoxin asap..if they dont have any or cant get it...Milk of Magnesia will do good too..15 cc per 60# goat...oral...every 12 hours...Pepto is good to help dry the bum and sooth the gut...15-20 cc each if you are usuing cd antitoxin, if you are using MOM skip the pepto ..B complex is a wonderful support 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in enough water to drench for each sick goat....keep them hydrated and feed hay and greenleaves only..NO FEED!!
'here is a recipe for electros..

Homemade ElectrolytesA half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.
Thank you. I passed this along to them.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Based on the information given, it sounds like a case of acidosis due to grain overload. Your friend probably wants to contact her vet. Probiotics are needed as well as penicillin. If it is acidosis, it can kill her goats if not treated properly and soon.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
any news?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just heard. The goats did pull through this and are up and eating. Thanks to those who gave advice. I was told they are some pretty boer does. :)

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Good news!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts