The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
One of my Nigerian girls is lethargic. She does this every once in awhile. Membranes pale, diarreah, weight loss. I have been giving her Spectogard, Vitamin B shots, Red Cell, and wormed with moxidectin. I took her to the vet several months ago with the same thing. All I remember him giving her is some antibiotics, and wormed.

So, should I give her some Pen G? Any other suggestions?

thx

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Sounds like she maybe wormy and current treatment is addressing that. I would get her temp before starting antibiotics. 101.5-103.5 is normal range.
I would add 30 cc of a 50/50 mix of acv and water. Will help speed recovery. Drench slow drenching. You can split in half and give 2 times day if too much at once.
Make sure she is eating high protien feed, hay, alfalfa and a variety of browse food to help rebuild red blood cells.
I would also give Tummy Tamer at least 2 times a day
Tummy Tamer
1 teaspoon each
Cayenne pepper
Cinnamon
Ginger
Slippery elm
acv
Molasses
20-30cc water
blend all together with 1-2 fresh raw garlic cloves and drench slowly.
If this is a reoccurring issue for her, I would send fecals in a few times a year to keep close eye on her numbers. Meadow mist labs only charge 6 bucks and you get a full report of what she has and count.
She may benefit from a herbal parasite formula to help keep parasites at bay.

·
Fair-Haven
4,919 Posts
Do run a fecal and make sure you are dosing for (what sounds like worms) with the correct wormer and follower up with the second dose, and perhaps a third depending upon her wormload. Periodically running fecals helps keep on top of worm and parasite loads, along with great loose minerals and not letting the turnout area get too short, or having too many goats on your pasture. Always feed everything off the ground. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Temp is 104, so just a little elevated. I actually need to mow their pasture, as its getting too long and weedy.

We have 18 in our little herd, in 3 separate, good-sized pens. I have one buck that will get similar symptoms, but clears up quickly with a few doses of Spectogard. Its a mystery as to why only these two get this. I will check out mailing in fecals. What do you extract it from the animal with, to make sure you are getting the correct specimen (although those are the only runny ones, in 2 different pens).

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
When I need a fecal..I cup a baggie in my hand and follow the goat around lol. Now if the goat in question is laying down chewing a cud..that is a good time because once they are resting like that, they tend to poop and pee when they stand up. You want to get a clean fresh sample, so no old poo or poop covered in hay,dirt ect.
Meadowmistlabs.com is the web site for the lab

Some goats immune system is just not as good as we hope and this can make the prone to parasites and illness. Could be they had a hard start in life. Not enough colostrum or a bad case of coccidia when young...hard to say. I would address their rumen and see if that helps booste their immune system. Daily probiotics and fresh raw garlic can help.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
I agree with everyone.

Have you ever treated for cocci?

Does the goat have fishtail or rough/coarse hair. Different color in hair?

The goat may be copper deficient and as to why the goat is having issues.

Any loose salt and minerals free choice out for the goat and is the goat eating it if so?

A weak immune system may be allowing pneumonia to stike over and over again because of parasites/cocci issues.

Remember, iron(red cell) cancels out the copper.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with everyone.

Have you ever treated for cocci?

Does the goat have fishtail or rough/coarse hair. Different color in hair?

The goat may be copper deficient and as to why the goat is having issues.

Any loose salt and minerals free choice out for the goat and is the goat eating it if so?

A weak immune system may be allowing pneumonia to stike over and over again because of parasites/cocci issues.

Remember, iron(red cell) cancels out the copper.
I give the babies toltrazuril, but haven't given to the adults, except in medicated feed. I didn't think it was a problem for adults. I also have copper/selenium I can dose her with (I guess no more Red Cell for her!). They have loose minerals. I will give her the tolt and the copper. Will still send off the fecal. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Adult goats normally keep coccidia in check but a compromised immune system can open them up for a bloom. A fecal will alert you to it. Don't stop red cell if shes anemic. Yes, It can interfere with copper but if anemic she needs the support. Once she is no longer anemic, you can always copper bolus her if needed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do what I have read on Goat Spot--very informative! 1 ml (orally--I made that mistake) per 5 lbs at 3 wks, 6 wks, 9 wks, 12 wks. I did just dose an ailing adult doe with it, as she was showing the symptoms. Corid is toltrazuril.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
Corid is toltrazuril.
You may have wrote this wrong (I do that all the time) but just in case I felt I should say
Corid is not toltrazuril. These are two very different treatments for coccidia.

For corid instructions there is a file here is health and wellness on how to dilute and dose safely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts