The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I went to let the girls out and one of my younger does was standing hunched over and didn’t want to leave the barn with everyone else. She was totally fine last night. Her temp was 106 so I texted the vet right away, she’s going to try to make it out here today to see her.
is there anything I should do for her in the meantime? I would have given banamine but I only have the paste for horses on hand right now.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Need to get that fever down. Use cold compresses behind ears and armpit areas.
She needs antibiotics and banamine injectable. If no banamine give aspirin..one adult pill for every 10 pounds. She can't wait for the vet to "try to get out later" 106 temp is high.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just gave her aspirin and applied a cold compress. Her breathing sounded normal, not raspy or labored. She had a little white snot in her nose, but eyes are clear. She’s walking around the barn a bit, and will go to the hay but not eat.
All I have on in terms of antibiotics is amoxicillin for dogs, and sulfamethoxazole for horses.
I’ve never had a goat need antibiotics before so I don’t have any specifically for them.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
If the vet does not come today you will need to get her antibiotics. As mentioned OTC choice would be tylan 200 1 cc per 25 pounds 2x a day sub q. Or if nothing else penicillin 1 cc per 20 pounds sub q 2x a day for regular Pen and once a day if 48 hour. I prefer regular Penicillin. Always pull back the plunger and check for blood before injecting meds. No blood is good to go. See blood, re adjust and try again.

If the vet shows up, please make sure he leaves enough meds for full treatment. If your not sure, feel free to ask here. There are a few long acting antibiotics but most are normally once a day for 5 -7 days.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vet stopped by tonight and saw her. Heart sounded good, rumen was a little slow but she hasn’t eaten much today, lungs were very slightly raspy. Had a fever of 107.
she gave her banamine and LA 200 and gave me LA 200 and meloxicam to continue. Hopefully because we caught it early she’ll be feeling better soon.
I’ll be keeping a super close eye on her through the night and the vet is going to check back in on her tomorrow.
Thank you for all of the help!

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I’m glad the vet made it out. If she thinks it’s pneumonia , you might ask for Excede /excenel. It’s really good for pneumonia. I’m glad you got banamine, that’ll help with the fever. Watch her temperature closely. I hope you caught it early and she responds well to her meds. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
LA 200 not the best antibiotic choice for pneumonia but be sure to give proper dose..1 cc per 20 pounds once a day sub Q. Make sure she stays hydrated. 107 is quite high. Banamine should help. Wish the vet left you at least two more days of banamine...use cool compresses if it spikes

Best wishes

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She was doing better last night. Perked up a little and temp went down to 103.4 and was eating a little hay. It’s been raining pretty hard all night and she slept right by the window in the barn and was laying down wet when I checked on her. I ended up bringing her in the house, dried her off and gave her vitamin b, nutridrench, and the meloxicam from the vet. Temp was back up when I took it this morning. She’s been standing and is still alert/fighting me when I try and treat her. I’ve been in contact with my vet already this morning, she said to check her in a bit after giving the meloxicam some time and if she’s still not feeling better I’ll be having her back out.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
She may have a few days of up and down temps. Especially with the antibiotic of choice. It will work but may not give fast results. Banamine is much better than oral meds like Meloxicam for goats. Sounds like you are doing great with her! Little stinker getting soaked!

Best wishes

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Fair-Haven
4,923 Posts
I’m glad the vet made it out. If she thinks it’s pneumonia , you might ask for Excede /excenel. It’s really good for pneumonia. I’m glad you got banamine, that’ll help with the fever. Watch her temperature closely. I hope you caught it early and she responds well to her meds. Good luck.
Goofy - list my notes - what is the proper dose for Excede?

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Exceed is 1 cc per 40 pounds, this is given every 4 days for 3 shots.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Luna spent the rest of the day inside and showed no interest in eating or drinking, her fever stayed the same most of the day. She just stood hunched over for the most part. I kept in contact with my vet and she said it could take her some time to feel better.
her temp went down to 105.4 around 4pm, she also ate a little apple sauce. I went out and bought some alfalfa and offered her a little just now and she started eating it. I’m going to take her temp again soon but she even feels cooler to the touch. She started to perk up and doesn’t really have that dazed look in her eyes now. It’s supposed to be gross and rainy all night so she will be staying in the sun room tonight with my livestock dog who also happens to be recovering from surgery. Fingers crossed she starts to feel better tomorrow ❤

1 - 20 of 26 Posts