The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i start to lamb Monday. my goats started last night. I am just tired of the prep and i want to get it over with. I will have 240 ewes lamb and 40 goats to kid in the next 30 days. I had a set of kids born last night and the normal spattering of aborts (3) in my sheep herd.
I hate the first 10 ewes that lamb. often they are the problem ewes and i end up putting tons of time in on them. the largest number of bum lambs come from the first group to lamb. after the first ten lambing is busy but we don't have the problems of the first ten. I have 24 Jugs set up. a jug is a 5 by 3 foot pen that gives the ewe and lambs time to get to know one another. day 12 through day 15 of lambing, there is a period of heavy lambing where we will have 10 to 15 ewes lamb a day. we call this the flood. during the flood every jug us full and i make extra jugs in the aisles.
what i still have a hard time getting used to is, the lambing will be consistent at 8 ewes a day. then between day 22 and 24 and it is like a faucet was turned off. 8 ewes lambed the day before and not a single ewe will lamb the very next day. and just like that lambing is over. i have a tenancy to just wonder around for three days not knowing what to do with all my time.
but right now i just want to get it on.

·
8,163 Posts
Sending you good wishes that all goes as smoothly as it can, that your kids and lambs are healthy and you get some sleep.

I have only 75 does due April to June. I'm dreading that!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I hope you stocked up on sleep and coffee.lol
That is a lot of work!
Did the ewes just kind of get into a routine for lambing so regularly? That is so strange.

What kind of sheep do you have?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a lot of work!
Did the ewes just kind of get into a routine for lambing so regularly? That is so strange.

By lambing in a 15 acre field the ewes have room to move away from the herd to lamb. when i was in the barns i found that the lambs would loose track of mom and the ewes of the lambs and the ewes would reject the lambs.or i would find 7 lambs in one corner of the barn and three ewes. i would always have one or two lambs that no ewe wanted. So i had to be there for the birth to keep families togather. by lambing in the field i do not have that problem. Also lambing slows down at night so i get 6 to 7 hours sleep at night.

Heat cycles in ewes are 21 days long so when i turn the rams out 95% of the ewes are bread in the first heat. so there is no routine it is just numbers.
The sheep breed that i have is East Fereasion

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a lot of work!

By lambing in a 15 acre field the ewes have room to move away from the herd to lamb. when i was in the barns i found that the lambs would loose track of mom and the ewes of the lambs and would reject the lambs.or i would find 7 lambs in one corner of the barn and three ewes. i would always have one or two lambs that no ewe wanted. So i had to be there for the birth to keep families togather. by lambing in the field i do not have that problem. Also lambing slows down at night so i get 6 to 7 hours sleep at night.

Heat cycles in ewes are 21 days long so when i turn the rams out 95% of the ewes are bread in the first heat. so there is no routine it is just numbers.
The sheep breed that i have is East Fereasion

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Seems you have the routine down. Good luck! !

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once the ewe lambs in the field, how do you transport her and the newborns to the jug in the barn? How long do they typically stay in the jug?
I use a four horse trailer do retrieve the lambs. but this year the ground is too wet. I got stuck today so i switched to the lamb cart. the lamb cart is a dog crate with wheels i get to walk the ewes up to the barn this year.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
today I may have got my wish, i had a ewe lamb. and another comes down with Pregnancy toxemia and another with thiamine deficiency. and a doe with a retained placenta. Like i said the first ten ewes are hard.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Is there a reason why the first 10 are hard? If they are not good sheep, if you got rid of them would that take care of your problem?
Many years ago most of the problems came from old sheep. Sheep that were older than 8 years old. today i cull my sheep at 8 years old. today most of the problems come from premature births. Many of the premature births are coming from the increace of yearling ewes that i now have lambing. 80% of my yearlings lamb. This winter i have been building fence so i can separate the yearlings and releave the stress and competition of the herd.
it may be that i have time to worry about the first 10 ewes that lamb. when it starts to roll i dont have time to worry. There is always another lamb to take care of

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yikes! Fighting an unwilling ewe across 15 acres pulling a dog crate?!? Wishing you much strength and patience.
NO salteyLove It is easy peazy. when i catch a lamb i put it in the crate and pull the crate to the barn the ewe will fallow the lamb any were i go.
catching the lamb is the hard part. with in 20 minuets the lambs can run faster than i can.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yikes! Fighting an unwilling ewe across 15 acres pulling a dog crate?!? Wishing you much strength and patience.
NO salteyLove It is easy peazy. when i catch a lamb i put it in the crate and pull the crate to the barn the ewe will fallow the lamb any were i go.
catching the lamb is the hard part. with in 20 minuets the lambs can run faster than i can.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Oh phew! They are NOT like my goats then. The darn goats will stare and scream at the spot the kids were on the ground even when I show them right in their faces that I am moving the kids 15 feet to the jug...

1 - 20 of 159 Posts