The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I have been a long time users if Manna Pro goat minerals because it is the easiest thing to get around here. Always heard great things about Sweetlix but no one carries it in our area and to order it through a local store you have to buy a lot. I can't do that not knowing if they will even like it.

That said I know a lot of people started using the Purina Wind and Rain, but again they only carry the fly control type in my area. So just noticed today that Jeffers now offers both the SWEETLIX Meat Maker Goat 16-8 with RainBloc and SWEETLIX Meat Maker Goat 16-8 R960 with RainBloc. After reading I know I can't try the one with R960 because we do rotations between goat and horse fields and the additive in it is fatal to horses.

Is it worth ordering the sweetlix through jeffers? The last two bags of manna pro I got was less interest to the goats and clumps easier even in the feed stalls under cover. Are there any other minerals out there you all like?

I feed kelp and have Himalayan salt blocks too but the minerals just haven t been the same quality as before the pandemic started. My older geriatric goats need a mineral they are happy to see.

Thanks in advance and let's talk minerals!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I use one from my local feed elevator, they seem to love it.. it's a lot more, a 50# bag, than manna pro and it's $25 so the price is right lol... I did do so.e comparisons before buying it to make sure it was a decent mineral.

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
763 Posts
Is you are using TSC to get your minerals, maybe you could have them order Wind and Rain without fly control

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been using the Premier 1 Goat Trace Mineral Premix Gold Formula for a little over a year now. I have had issues with copper deficiency off and on, my does don’t seem to eat much (if any) of it free choice so I have considered switching but they look great when I do get them to eat it by top-dressing (which I know is controversial but the info about this particular mineral says it can be fed free-choice or top-dressed).
It costs $14 for a 5 lb bag of premix that you then mix with 50 lb of salt.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
@DDFN I see you are in TN, do you have any farmers CO-OP stores near you? They have a terrific mineral that has kelp in it called CO-OP Supreme goat mineral. I offer that along side sweetlix. When I gave sweetlix alone to my does, they developed iodine deficiency.
The one I mentioned has kelp I believe but oof is it expensive

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do Replamin Plus once a week in addition to Manna Pro mineral. I also have kelp, cobalt block and Himalayan salt rock out.
I actually ordered some replamin plus last week but it hasn't arrived yet. Where do you find or order the cobalt block? I haven't seen those around here either.

Has your manna pro been "normal" my last two bags have been off?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is you are using TSC to get your minerals, maybe you could have them order Wind and Rain without fly control
I do have tractor supply but apparently my main store has turned into a trainer store and the new staff are horrible to me. I spend thousands of dollars there and they won't keep things I need in and changed the store reset. I told the guy I thought was the manager how much of this and that I use a month and he said they would not keep that much on hand. It's horrible. So I drive farther to another store where one of the old staff from the store now works and they are still so nice but I hate that drive.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@DDFN I see you are in TN, do you have any farmers CO-OP stores near you? They have a terrific mineral that has kelp in it called CO-OP Supreme goat mineral. I offer that along side sweetlix. When I gave sweetlix alone to my does, they developed iodine deficiency.
We do have some coops out of the way but I visit one about once or twice a month. I can ask about it but the last time I checked they didn't carry goat mineral only sheep. Maybe if I ask they will order it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Is made local here in Northern Minnesota, and is organic
Looks nice but it would probably cost a lot to get shipped to east TN. Everyone in this area is so old fashion with their goats the stores normally only have sheep or cattle minerals or manna pro. Really wished more goat farmers would ask for the "good" stuff to be stocked local. Freight and wait time is a pain.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Looks nice but it would probably cost a lot to get shipped to east TN. Everyone in this area is so old fashion with their goats the stores normally only have sheep or cattle minerals or manna pro. Really wished more goat farmers would ask for the "good" stuff to be stocked local. Freight and wait time is a pain.
The shipping is included in price on that site, it's a little cheaper in the co op I go to (like 50 for a #25 I think) check around though because I know they ship it around nationally to other Co ops

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been using the Premier 1 Goat Trace Mineral Premix Gold Formula for a little over a year now. I have had issues with copper deficiency off and on, my does don’t seem to eat much (if any) of it free choice so I have considered switching but they look great when I do get them to eat it by top-dressing (which I know is controversial but the info about this particular mineral says it can be fed free-choice or top-dressed).
It costs $14 for a 5 lb bag of premix that you then mix with 50 lb of salt.
Is that the premier 1 brand?

Yeah lately one of my geriatrics has gotten tired of grain, so I even started doing a bit of calf manna and raisins with her grain and boss to try to get her to eat more. She would rather graze in the field all day and forget the grain which is leading to more mineral needs. Her coat is already getting rough. Done fecals that's fine she just won't eat enough loose minerals or grain to keep it up.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The shipping is included in price on that site, it's a little cheaper in the co op I go to (like 50 for a #25 I think) check around though because I know they ship it around nationally to other Co ops
Oh really. Humm will check it out more closely then thanks!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Poor old girl
Yeah she was one of my bottle babies back in the day and I just want her to look and feel 100% again. She needs her teeth done but again all the vets are afraid to float an old goats teeth around here. Even the vets I used to work for. Another vet friend we used to help rescue horses with is willing to try but it's going to take some time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts