Lets talk Work Boots

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by MellonFriend, Sep 7, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I have been struggling to find proper footwear and I was wondering what you all use. I prefer a tall rain style rubber boot, but I can't seem to find a tough enough boot at a cheap enough price. Especially considering all the rubber boots I have ever had, cheap or expensive, have cracked. So what do you like wearing on your feet? All opinions are welcome!

Kass and Iluvlilly! like this.

2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I've always worn whatever plain, cheap black rubber boots they carried at the local feed store and I've done well with them over the years. However, last Christmas my husband's aunt and uncle bought me THESE:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sloggers-Womens-Waterproof-Comfort-5018GOBL09/dp/B072T3T9B9/

They're very comfortable and so far they're holding up well but even if they break down tomorrow I will by another pair and I will never wear anything else because... BABY GOATS!!!

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I find rubber boots hard on my feet. I only wear them if it’s really wet.
    In the summer I wear a dedicated pair of Keen sandals.
    Spring, fall and most winter days I wear a very sturdy pair of waterproof runners that I can slip on and off. My feet are happy in them. They are not cheap, but last well over a year.
    Very cold days I wear snowboots.

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm 2 years into my Muck boots and I abuse them. They are just starting to show some wear though so I may replace them before fall as I also use them when I work at the racetrack if it's been raining so I'm not sinking my regular shoes in mud.
    The downfall is the pair I have (half calf) don't have the tread on the bottom, so anything slippery and I have to be careful.

For winter I just use insulated women's work boots from TSC, they are about $25-30 and work great, a bit heavy, but I've had 2 pairs over the last 4 or 5 years.

5. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    I don't love rubber boots, I find i wear the soles down to quickly and then everything is slippery. And then take into account most modern shoes and boots aren't made to last more then 3-6 months with regular use. So yeah if you wear the same boots everyday taking care of the animals they will break down.

But your weather has to be taken into account too, I can comfortably wear shoes most of the year taking care of the animals.

I wear boots and shoes depending on the weather. I have a dedicated pair of stall shoes that I wear for general cleaning during summer and dry weather. They are just worn down tennis shoes. My daily shoes are newer tennis shoe, cleaner and not worn down, I use for feeding and when I check on the animals, and general life. Then I have lace up boots, probably 2-3 years old, that I tend to use when things are wet or damp, for cleaning and checking on animals, and just a cheap pair of rubber boots for feeding on wet days or if the weather is really nasty.

But like I said i don't like rubber boots for myself and I only wear them when things are really nasty and I just need a quick pair of shoes. I also realized this last year the men's rubber boots have nicer soles then the women's, deeper tread and sturdier materials (i can wear my oldest sons boots) also a plus for me personally is the men's rubber boots have wider tops which means more calf space and being able to tuck my pants in more comfortably.

MellonFriend and Iluvlilly! like this.
  6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I have the same pair!!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    This is the pair I have, it's called the Muckster II mid calf. The thing I LOVE about this pair is you can fold the tops down. I am not a thin gal, I have chunky legs and I do NOT like when boots rub the back or sides of my calves. But when I do wear them as is, they still don't bother me.
    I want to say they are around $100, but I'd gotten mine on a great sale at a local feed store for around $70.
    [​IMG]

But again slippery surfaces like our brick sidewalk for example when it's wet (needs to be scrubbed more often), and ice is sketchy at least for me, but everything else, these are awesome. I also love the fact if I go right now and clean them with a sponge they will almost look brand new. I bought them Labor day weekend 2018 lol. Again, I wear them to the racetrack when I have been able to work the races, and when I am at the track I walk miles and miles so need something comfortable.

8. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    I loved my mucks they arent cheap but they held up well. Mine went through my teenager then to me. They made it about 4 maybe 5 years ( he didn't wear them often I wore them daily in the winter and spring) finally had to throw them away last year when they got a hole. I've got a pair of artic shields now they're comfortable and cheaper than mucks but I've only had them since last Christmas so I can't say how they'll hold up yet.

MadHouse, Iluvlilly! and MellonFriend like this.
  9. MellonFriend

I guess the trouble I have is I prefer a taller boot. I am required to trek through brambles and poison ivy occasionally and I like the extra protection especially since I am a tall person already.

I have a pair of 15 inch muck boots that I was supposed to only wear in winter so as not to wear them out, but when my go to servuses from tractor supply cracked I started wearing them all the time. I feel like the sole on them is not going to hold up though.

I wish tractor supply hadn't stopped selling those servus women's work boots. They were cheap and held up well enough that I would have purchased another pair when mine wore out.

HMNS and Iluvlilly! like this.
  10. MellonFriend

Ooooo I did not know that!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I love my muck boots..work well here. I have isolated water proof boots for cold wet winter ..which is like a few days in Texas :D

MadHouse, MellonFriend and Iluvlilly! like this.
  12. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Muck all the way! There is a difference between each one though. I got the black ones hoosiershadow posted the first and second to around (they make them tall as we as short). I think I got 3 years out of each one. Then this last year I bought the green camo ones because they just felt a little lighter. By the end of the second year they were so very cracked and done for. But both were super comfortable and warm. I’m a very cheap person and Im telling you the black mucks are worth it

K Brooke, MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  13. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    https://www.carhartt.com/products/womens/10-Inch-Wellington-Boot-Non-Safety-Toe-CWP1150

Have you guys ever seen these? I don't have a pair, my husband has the mens version and he LOVES them. He said they are a bit heavy, but they are waterproof and only get better with time. He uses them as a daily boot, garden boot, mucking boot... you name it. I think they also look really nice too =) I'm going to buy a pair as soon as it cools off.

HMNS, MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  14. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Side note: For those of you that love crocs , like I did... I thought I'd share that I got the WORST case of nail fungus from wearing them in the garden, getting my feet wet , continuing to wear them while my feet were wet, etc. Both of my large toes are affected and it's been months with little progress =( I'm sad to say that I'll never wear crocs again

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  15. MellonFriend

Very interesting! I was wondering if there was a company that sold something like that. I sure do trust carhartt to make a quality product. That would definitely be something to consider if I just can't get a rubber boot to stop wearing out.

16. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Anything will wear out if you wear it on a daily basis. I love my Muck boots as well. But for daily use I wear Stormchaser clogs from LL Bean. I know they have Stormchaser boots but don't think they have the tall ones.

K Brooke, MellonFriend and MadHouse like this.
  17. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Try Apple cider vinegar. I am one that very much believes in modern medicine but my son got ring worm on his head and the over the counter ring worm meds really were not doing much. I went ahead and looked up home remedies since it was going to be weeks before I could get him in for a appointment. ACV does amazing things for fungal issues. I had him wash his hair at night and then dump a cup of ACV and rub it in and then just get out of the shower. In 2 days it was 100% gone and I made him use it for a week just to be on the safe side. I am a total believe of that stuff now.

18. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I can't stand rubber or neoprene boots. I have no idea why, I just don't feel my feet & ankles are supported enough in them. Or if they are the insulated ones, they feel too bulky. For me, it's waterproof leather for the win! Mid calf. They last longer for me and I like the feel much better. I had Ariats before which are way pricey, broke those down in around 5 years and now have a more generic type from Tractor Supply.

MellonFriend and MadHouse like this.