The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this post disappear on me the other day, let's hope it works this time!

I have three does that have been running with my buck since June(ish). Last year they kidded between late January and late February, but the buck only had accessed when he escaped - so possible he bred them sooner this year. Tried doing ultrasounds to see how far along they are but he couldn't find anything. I called BS on them all being barren!

First up is Tulip, 6 year old Boer/Toggenburg doe. Seasoned milker, this will be at least her fourth set of kids.

This is Clover, 2 year old Nubian. Kidded a single buckling in February, just drying her off now.

Last one is Sweet Pea, Clover's twin. She lost twins back in January and was sick last month, so I'm really hoping her kidding goes smoothly!

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that would be the opposite of last year! Bear in mind that Tulip is more stretched out from multiple births. I'll take pics every couple weeks to compare. I'm hoping to try an ultrasound again when they're big enough to kick - if the US can't pick THAT up they need a new machine!

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Felt some movement in Sweet Pea today, wonder if she's going to go first again. They don't look very big (actually they were rounder last month! Go figure) but last year they didn't balloon up until December, then they went fast! Hopefully they won't go until after New Year's though since I'll be out of town for Christmas.

No bumpings from the other two yet. Tulip usually has very active kids so she may be farther out.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
That's what I'm thinking, too. I'm not very good at pooch's, but it looks like Tulip is longer bred than the other two. Time will tell! :laugh:

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New pics! I figure if I keep taking the same shots every couple weeks it will be easier to track their progress and see when they're getting close. Clover and Sweet Pea are both showing - the last set of pics was in the morning before they'd eaten so they were a bit sunken in. I can tell that Tulip is pregnant in person but since she's on her 4th or 5th set of kids her belly goes down first before it goes out.

Tulip

Sweet Pea

Clover

P.S. Don't go by udders; Sweet Pea and Clover never really dried up even though they're no longer milking, and Tulip's kid might still be trying to nurse although I doubt she has anything in there. No one is starting to fill yet.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Again, I have to say Tulip will be first. In that picture it looks like her kids have dropped and that is almost always a good sign that she is getting ready to kid! How far along is Sweet Pea?

PS I don't go by udders or ligs as an indication of kidding - ligs are too unreliable and I have too many does whose milk doesn't fully come in until they kid. :wink: :)

PSS How far along is Sweet Pea?

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can pretty much guarantee that Tulip is nowhere near kidding. She always gets low first and then wide, and is MUCH bigger before kidding. Her ligs are rock hard and udder is dried up. She tends to go past her due date (when I have one) and looks like she's ready to go for weeks before hand - ligs come and go repeatedly and udder starts filling early. Plus I haven't even felt the kids move yet and by the time she's close they're tap dancing in there :D

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are from last year; this was three weeks before Tulip kidded. She definitely lives by the doe code of honor - she doesn't kid without warning, she waits until I'm convinced she'll stay pregnant forever and then drops them while I'm not looking :D I have yet to see her kid out but I'm installing cameras this year!

Here's Clover, three days before kidding. She was a FF so might be different this year. Don't have any of Sweet Pea.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pictures again...just cuz. They're definitely getting plump but I think the alfalfa is helping :D No one looks close, I'm guessing they're on roughly the same timetable as last year.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Looks like they all have a while, their udders are still small. BUUUT. I vote white tan spots, solid nubian, and they the spotted one last.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Time for some new shots, they're definitely progressing. Sweet Pea had me wondering today - she was more standoffish than usual, was yawning a bit and staring off into space, but she has no discharge, no udder, and her ligaments are still there - although the tailhead itself seems to be rather sunken down in between them. She's the one who lost her kids last year so I'm worried about not being present, but I hung around for hours and she didn't have any signs of being in active labor so I finally came home. Hope she holds out a bit longer, my webcam is on the way!

Attachments

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They're not too big yet, but they show more in person than in the pictures - and the Nubians didn't show very much at all last year. The pooches are getting puffy on those two, Tulip's is just droopy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts