The Goat Spot Forum banner

Letting Buyers Pick Registration Names?

1693 Views 39 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  daisymay
I have someone get on my waiting list for the first time and this has me wondering: Do you let your buyers who are lined up before kiddings pick the registered names of the kids you are selling them? I was on a waiting list for my does and I did not pick their names, but I know that some people do allow it. So what is your policy?
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
I normally choose the names because I like keeping track of those I register, so no duplicate names, however there are some cases where a buyer asks for a certain name and if it's not already used..im ok with that.
Reactions: 5
If they are buying the goat and all is paid, I see no problem with them naming the goat.
The lady I got Thor from just filled out most of it... you'll of course want your name/ Farm name in front! Then they can choose the rest when sending in paperwork is what she did!
Reactions: 4
I used to allow people to pick the names, and then one person had to ruin it for everyone else. He didn鈥檛 fill out a name, so the ABGA made the doe鈥檚 name her tattoo number. I told him she doesn鈥檛 have a name, and he responded with 鈥淚 don鈥檛 care鈥 so now I decide the names.

Not saying that鈥檚 what will happen, but just a warning lol. Everyone else did it correctly for 8 years!
All the breeders I鈥檝e bought from have let me pick the registered name. They let me know how many characters are left after their herd name and let me know the theme. Then we go back and forth until I find a name or they suggest one that we both like. That way there鈥檚 no duplicate names from their farm but I, as the buyer, still get to be involved.
If someone has a kid reserved beforehand I will let them suggest names, but each of my does has a theme so it has to fit their theme. This is how it's been done when I've reserved kids too. One breeder had me come up with 3 names and then chose which one she liked- I thought that was a good idea.
I always register the kids myself and never just send an application for the buyer to fill out though. It may be their goat, but it's going to have my herd name on it and I want to make sure it's a name I'm okay with.
Okay I think I'll probably let the buyer choose the names. I like to name all my goats after things from pop culture. So, characters in movies, tv shows, books, movie titles, character last names. That's a pretty broad range so that will probably allow for the buyer to name them something that they like. 馃槉

Thanks everyone for the advice!
I like the option of letting the buyer know the theme and providing 3 options. Its a fair trade off.
I also name them by middle (or first depending) names from family! Except Onyx!! Right now their my grandma, grandpa and great aunt! But buyer can always change name!
Reactions: 2
I usually send in registrations with names picked already. I have on occasion let the buyer choose though, depends on the buyer.
Reactions: 3
I ask if they have a name they want. If they do and it鈥檚 not some off the wall stupid name I鈥檒l put it down then add their tattoo number at the end. That way there鈥檚 no multiple names, because there is no multiple tattoos. So there might be a marry joe A25 and a Mary joe G76
If they don鈥檛 care about a name or it鈥檚 stupid I鈥檒l pick since my name is attached to that. But I always fill it in because same thing happened to me as CountryLineAcres, also all I asked when I left the name blank was it start with Andersons and had a lady leave that out and put her ranch name on it. Not the end of the world or anything but would like my ranch name to go first.
Reactions: 3
I let them pick鈥 but鈥. If it is a name i have used or am going to use that year it is mine first. Or if it is a ugly/vulgar name it is a no. Because those names are on my herdname. I do not think the the registries will let it be an ugly/vulgar name anyway. I do fill out the name in ink when i fill out the reg papers that go with the kids. That way they cannot change it on me. The only thing the buyer fills out if their name and address info i do the rest.
Usually, if they are not registered when they are sold (we sell our Boer kids at weaning), then we let the buyer pick the registered name. Some, we do name as we want a specific name for them. Sometimes buyers don't even send in the paperwork, they just want the proof that the goat they bought was fullblooded (ugh lol).
We have 16 kids this year and will only register the ones we sell, my daughter struggles to find registered names a lot of times and so do I so when we sell with application for registration we will most likely let buyers name kids when they send in the application.

My daughter just bought a buck kid and breeder let her name him. We have had a couple of does in the past we bought before they were registered and my son picked their names.
I think as a buyer,if I'm going to fork out $500.00 for a registered goat, then I should get to pick the registered name. Question: If I buy a registered goat under a name the breeder picked,when I go to sell the kids from that registered goat,do I have to use the registered name from the breeder or can I use the name I renamed them?
I think as a buyer,if I'm going to fork out $500.00 for a registered goat, then I should get to pick the registered name. Question: If I buy a registered goat under a name the breeder picked,when I go to sell the kids from that registered goat,do I have to use the registered name from the breeder or can I use the name I renamed them?
You have to go by whatever the name is on the goats registration paper. As far as I know you can not change their names, unless the dairy registery is different. If you put a different name, then the paper would be void. IMO, doesn't matter if you pay $500 or $5000 if the breeder names the goat, it is their right as a breeder. I know if I want a goat to have a specific name, then that is the name they will have. A lot of times if we sell on application for registration then we let buyer choose a name, but there are times that we want a specific name for that animal. We put the work into breeding it, kidding it out, raising it and making it available, so a buyer should always respect a breeders wishes when it comes to names :)
This past summer I got my first registrable goats. Both were sold with applications (from two different breeders) and they both let me pick the names. I鈥檓 trying to figure out if I want to let buyers pick their names like I had the pleasure of doing, or if I want to give them specific names. I may just do it by if I really want a specific name even though I鈥檓 not keeping them.
If I have to pick between breeders with similar quality I will buy from the one that lets me pick the name. Both breeders I bought from let me choose and it made me really happy.
Reactions: 1
You have to go by whatever the name is on the goats registration paper. As far as I know you can not change their names, unless the dairy registery is different. If you put a different name, then the paper would be void. IMO, doesn't matter if you pay $500 or $5000 if the breeder names the goat, it is their right as a breeder. I know if I want a goat to have a specific name, then that is the name they will have. A lot of times if we sell on application for registration then we let buyer choose a name, but there are times that we want a specific name for that animal. We put the work into breeding it, kidding it out, raising it and making it available, so a buyer should always respect a breeders wishes when it comes to names :)
Doesn't sound like good business.I have a paint business for 37 years,I don't pick the color of the paint for my customers home.They pay the money,they pick the colors.
If I have to pick between breeders with similar quality I will buy from the one that lets me pick the name. Both breeders I bought from let me choose and it made me really happy.
That's what I was thinking.Whatever happened to pleasing the customer? I have a paint business and when someone pays me for my services,they pick the paint colors.Same thing.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.