Lexi, and I am from SE Missouri

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lexibot, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Introductions are not my thing, I normally just like to barge in and listen to everyone talk, lol :D

OKay so, I am 23, live with Dad and brother. I have 2 dogs, one of them just had a puppy (neighbor's dog got to her, that little rat...), 11 Goats. 2 Boers, 2 Kikos, 1 Boer/Nubian Cross, one Wethered Alpine/Nubian, and the rest are full blooded Nubians, and 30 chickens.

We're raising a farm to become more self efficient. Chickens for meat and bug control, and goats for milk, meat and plant control :D

I started farming in December 09. Moved from a little town to the middle of no where in August 09.

It was a bad winter, and very stressful. Our pipes broke 3 times, our propane to cook with kept freezing up. Horrible winter.

Some of you know we were "thrown" into farming. It was something we couldn't pass up, we purchased 5 cheap bred does due 2 months later. So we quickly set up a pen, and got them delivered. My first goat herd ever, they were wild, a couple let me pet them shortly before we got rid of them, but after they had their babies and wouldn't take care of them (and I couldn't figure out how to milk them!!!!), we decided to forget about goats. We profited though, AND kept a little one for a pet.

In May we decided to try Boer Meat Goats, as they required no milking, but during the Summer, I learned how to milk a goat off a sweet Nubian doe that we traded for a Jersey Calf, We then bought her back about a month ago, as the guy said she was too small for his goats and they were mean to her, since my goats were smaller and younger, I said, fine I'll take her. The price was fair, and since she was still in milk, I figured I could save money and harm by feeding the milk to my recently bought bottle babies.

This herd is great, just about all of them will walk up to me and let me pet them, most are bottle babies as that's what I decided to go with (the wild ones scared me enough, LOL), the ones that aren't are because we traded some things we got through other trades for, as they were excellent quality.

Our goal currently is to get about 11 dairy goats, all bred at different times of the year, to keep the milk flowing nicely. This also means I should have a baby at all times. \o/

We also an on having a pig or 2 here and there to butcher later, and a little herd of rabbits for an additional meat.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome ....glad you are with us.... :welcome:

Sounds like..... after the ups and downs.....the goats are doing well for you..... :wink: :thumb:

3. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Hi Lexi :) It sounds like you all are pretty self sufficient! I am aiming to be more so as I go along, too :) Nice to "meet" you :)

4. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Nice to meet you guys too. I forgot to mention that we are building up soil for a garden next year, our toilet is the "Humanure" set up, it's quite lovely, and saves sooo much water you wouldn't believe.

5. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    So you mean you have an outdoor toilet????

:)

6. carmen escamilla

carmen escamilla New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    WELCOME FROM TEXAS GLAD TO SEE U ON HERE U WILL LEARN SO MUCH ON THIS CLUB I KNOW I HAVE I GO TREW HERE AT LEASE TWICE A DAY JUST TO SEE IF ANY NEW POSTING HAVE CAME IN SO I CAN LEARN MORE AND BELIVE IT I DO AND EVERYONE IS SO FRIDLEY HAPPY TO HELP I AM NEW AS WELL AND I HAVE HAD SO MUCH HELP AS WELL SO ENJOY

7. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    It's indoor, but it's like an outdoor one. You cover the mess with sawdust, no smell. :) Very nice set up, I love it.

http://humanurehandbook.com/

8. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Wow! I am not sure I could do that at this point in my life. Too spoiled with toilets and running water!!! LOL I think it is cool that you do though. I have a friend who does something similar. Y'all are determined not to leave a carbon foot print, huh?! :D