The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I know this isn’t an LGD page but I’m assuming some may have them. Any advice on our wether bullying our LGD’s? The LGD’s are 6 months old. I never let the LGD’s in with just the wether. We have them separated by cattle panels but in the same pasture. When we are all together the dogs are totally fine. They don’t try to chase, bark, paw at the goats.
I’ve tried tying him up and letting the dogs free range in the pasture, flipping him, tethering him. Aye!
We also first introduced them very slowly to each other. The dogs had their own pen within the pasture, they would be on a leash with me around the goats so they couldn’t chase. I don’t want to get rid of the wether but at this point, the dogs can’t learn to do their job. Thank you!

·
Registered
842 Posts
How is your wether bullying the LGDs? At 6 months old they’re still very young so you definitely don’t want them getting scared by a goat. Do you plan on leaving them alone with the goats soon? We didn’t let ours alone with the bucks until he was well over a year old. At that point he had decent size over the bucks.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
My LGDs when puppies were only with does. My LGDs didnt go in with the Bucks till they were a year old. My female LGD handles my bucks very well. She takes as much as she gives. They play well together. But only my male is around Does & kids. My female killed a kid. So she is a Buck only lgd. I dont have any wethers. I do have a queen doe..who goes after my LGD. They go at it awhile..but they establish an agreement. I watch but no blood is ever drawn. Alot of noise and pushing. But no attacking. So..For mine..I watch until its agreed upon. It usually lasts about 5 minutes and then its over.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is your wether bullying the LGDs? At 6 months old they're still very young so you definitely don't want them getting scared by a goat. Do you plan on leaving them alone with the goats soon? We didn't let ours alone with the bucks until he was well over a year old. At that point he had decent size over the bucks.
He rears up at them and tries to headbutt. They are never left alone with the goats. They have their own separate pasture with the goats on the other side. We can't even let the dogs bond with the two goats because of the wether. We are expecting kids soon so hoping our pups can bond with them. The pups are great around the poultry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our
My LGDs when puppies were only with does. My LGDs didnt go in with the Bucks till they were a year old. My female LGD handles my bucks very well. She takes as much as she gives. They play well together. But only my male is around Does & kids. My female killed a kid. So she is a Buck only lgd. I dont have any wethers. I do have a queen doe..who goes after my LGD. They go at it awhile..but they establish an agreement. I watch but no blood is ever drawn. Alot of noise and pushing. But no attacking. So..For mine..I watch until its agreed upon. It usually lasts about 5 minutes and then its over.
Our LGD's run from the wether although our one female LGD will lay down in the goat pasture until the wether comes over. I feel like we may have to get rid of the wether because I feel like the dogs can't even get in the training.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
I would remove the wether, so the does can be introduced to the dog only when supervised.

You need to start teaching the pup and correcting when the pup tries to play, chase, nip etc. All bad behavior a no no.

When kids arrive, that is a scary time, with learning pups, they can get carried away and hurt or kill a kid real quick, Supervision always.

Some does will keep the dog at a distance when kids are around, it also teaches the pup what is not acceptable and the pup will learn space and respect. If the pup still taunts and harasses the doe discipline right away.
The pup needs to learn that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tha
I would remove the wether, so the does can be introduced to the dog only when supervised.

You need to start teaching the pup and correcting when the pup tries to play, chase, nip etc. All bad behavior a no no.

When kids arrive, that is a scary time, with learning pups, they can get carried away and hurt or kill a kid real quick, Supervision always.

Some does will keep the dog at a distance when kids are around, it also teaches the pup what is not acceptable and the pup will learn space and respect. If the pup still taunts and harasses the doe discipline right away.
The pup needs to learn that.
Thanks! Yes, he is removed from the dogs. Everyday we try and work with them. The wether will be separated from the doe/kids/dogs. I don't trust him. The dogs are really good around our poultry, even our baby chicks. But they are still supervised. They definitely will not be left unsupervised with the kids. Thanks for the advice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts