The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well most of you guys know that baby just kidded on the 2nd and something was wrong with her kid, liberty.
I have a few problems..

~I checked up on the whole "pooping blood" thing. She does cry when she poops unless we are wiping her with a warm wet towel.
In the poop there is a little bit of blood mixed in there. It's not every time she poops but it's in there. What should I do for that?

~ she is premature. One of her back hoof pad thingy (just above the hooves, idk what it's called) is still pink. Most her hooves are still squishy an here's the worst part, her teeth are JUST coming in.. They hurt her when she nurses, is there anything I can give her to ease her pain?

~ since she is premature we are giving her nutridrench and we did give her some bcomplex mixed in there but that was just once. Is there any thing else I can give her to get her to be a strong baby?

~ if I go to pet her chin she lays her head on my hand and just stays there even if it requires stretching her neck. Kind of like she things she's still in the birth canal waiting to come out.

Right now I took her away from her mom (baby) and I am bottle feeding her to make sure that she is getting what she needs. So no worries there.
I just don't know what to so from here.
Any help would be grateful!!

·
Super Moderator
58,870 Posts
She needs a shot of BoSe. That selenium will do wonders for her. Not a whole lot you can do for the pain.

Just keep bottle feeding. Their internal organs need time to catch up.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Is the kid scouring or is it normal baby poo with blood?

If she is too premature, her internal organs might not be all the way developed, I hope that isn't the case. :(
How pre-mature is she?

The pink pad color can be normal.

Her teeth just coming in, maybe try some human infant teething stuff, might work.

Is she weak or are you in a selenium deficient area, maybe give a small Bo-Se shot.

Newborns, are funny when messed with and stay in weird positions, if you make a loud noise, will fall flat down to the ground(duck) scared and will stay there for a while. Kind as you explained, like she thinks she's still in the birth canal waiting to come out.

I would leave her with momma and go out and bottle feed her as well, until you know, she is getting enough and gets stronger. If it isn't to late, she can still have momma and you won't have to bottle feed later, unless you prefer a bottle baby.

You may want to get a fecal test done for e-coli or something that a very young goat kid can get. The blood doesn't seem right. :(

Praying for the baby.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the kid scouring or is it normal baby poo with blood?

If she is too premature, her internal organs might not be all the way developed, I hope that isn't the case. :(
How pre-mature is she?

The pink pad color can be normal.

Her teeth just coming in, maybe try some human infant teething stuff, might work.

Is she weak or are you in a selenium deficient area, maybe give a small Bo-Se shot.

Newborns, are funny when messed with and stay in weird positions, if you make a loud noise, will fall flat down to the ground(duck) scared and will stay there for a while. Kind as you explained, like she thinks she's still in the birth canal waiting to come out.

I would leave her with momma and go out and bottle feed her as well, until you know, she is getting enough and gets stronger. If it isn't to late, she can still have momma and you won't have to bottle feed later, unless you prefer a bottle baby.

You may want to get a fecal test done for e-coli or something that a very young goat kid can get. The blood doesn't seem right. :(

Praying for the baby.
It is normal baby poo. Thank god.
We don't know how premature as it was a fence breeding:/
We aren't in a selenium deficient area either.

I would put her back with mom & bottle feed as well but my goats aren't at my house & I don't trust leaving her there with her mom.
I don't mind bottle feeding her either!:)

As for the blood it's not that much. Ill try and get a picture next time she goes potty.

I did notice when she peed earlier that it was BRIGHT yellow. I know that it could be from dehydration but she has been getting enough milk. Maybe it's from her catching up? Who knows.
But around 1 she downed a good amount of milk finally:)
She's doing pretty good!!

Thank you guys for the help:)

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
yellow pee could also be from the nutra drench. or B complex..Baby Aspirin for teething pain or real Vanilla extract rubbed on the gums..she looked to be good size from her pic..as for her laying her head in your hand...all my new babies do that...they are hoping to nurse lol..I had twin born once full term with no teeth..skin was still stretched over..my vet said sometimes they just dont break through before being born, not to worry about it lol..they both did just fine. On her bottle feeding, be sure to weigh her so you know how much milk to feed

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yellow pee could also be from the nutra drench. or B complex..Baby Aspirin for teething pain or real Vanilla extract rubbed on the gums..she looked to be good size from her pic..as for her laying her head in your hand...all my new babies do that...they are hoping to nurse lol..I had twin born once full term with no teeth..skin was still stretched over..my vet said sometimes they just dont break through before being born, not to worry about it lol..they both did just fine. On her bottle feeding, be sure to weigh her so you know how much milk to feed
I've never gone on weight so I'm not sure how to do that.. But I do know that she doesn't take the milk SO well. She does take the majority of what I give her. When it gets to the bottom she lets go and won't suck. Don't know why.

Her body is a good size. Her head however looks about like a Nigerians..
Here's a pic of her today jumping and playing. She is doing that for the first time today:)
Thank you!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nchen thank you:)

Happybleats, I just measured what I usually give her. It's just under a cup. She doesn't drink all of it though so she probably drink half a cup to 3/4 of a cup 3 times a day then once in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
If you weigh her and multiply that by 16 you will get her weight in ounces,,, multiply that by 10% to see how much milk in a 24 hour she needs..then divide that by at least four feedings...I try not to give more than 16 oz at a time...

She is a doll...Im glad she is playful..its a very good sign..

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you both!!

She's napping right now. Lol my dogs like to watch her jump around & when she wakes up they scratch at the door or whine. So when she wakes up ill put a little more than a cup in the bottle. Maybe she'll drink the whole thing. :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a sweet baby, glad she is nursing well.

Is there any way to bring momma to you? Just curious?
There is BUT there's no where for her to stay:/
I could put her on our dog lead during the day but for the night, I don't have a crate big enough for her to stay in:/

·
Registered
868 Posts
Let her stay in the house hahaha. I know I'm the only one that crazy. I have a dog kennel I would give you if you were close enough

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol thanks holly:)

Mom doesn't even like the baby in the house IN THE CRATE. Let alone baby herself:/

As for the garage idea, we have a carport & that's where liberty's one crate is. That's the only area we have.
We do have a greenhouse only in use at night but it gets pretty toasty in there.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I was feeding her this morning & noticed her gums are bleeding. Probably from teething. Could that be the blood in her poo?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
I dont think so. How much blood in her stool? does she seem to strain to poop?

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I dont think so. How much blood in her stool? does she seem to strain to poop?
Yeah.
& not that much.
Last night I think had the most blood and there was about 40% max of her poo was blood. Normally it's not much. It's just red lines. Kind of like veins.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts