Lice--again

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by deenak, Mar 21, 2009.

1. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Is anyone else having problems with Lice? I treated all five last October with ivermectin 3 weeks apart. Now we have them again. I am treating with Sevin dust and we have cleaned the barn down to the floor. Any other ideas? Should I do the ivermectin again? Do lice become immune to chemicals like worms?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    This is typical for this time of year. More then likely it is in the straw bedding.

I use Permectrin II - you can get it at any feed store for under $10.00 for an 8 ounce bottle. Get that and take 2.5cc of Permectrin II to 4 cups (1 quart) water. Put in dollar store pray bottle and then spray it down their spines. I do this every 4-6 weeks during the cold and wet months.

Haven't had an issue since I started this routine and it CAN be used on pregnant does and kids over 2 months of age. Prior to 2 months use kitten flea powder and be careful not to get into the eyes.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    good advice ...Allison.... :wink: :greengrin:

4. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yep with farm animals lice is a common thing. when I trim hooves I treat for lice or as I like to think of I prevent a lice problem. It kinda would be like saying darn it I trimmed hooved just 4 months ago and there feet are over grown again. Maintance and prevention are the two main things with my herd.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh please dont remind me...........hoof trimming is like a job thats never really done. :sigh: