lice in goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by grace, Jul 29, 2009.

1. grace

grace New Member

May 13, 2009
    My son recently bought new cashmere goats, as he was leavng my son mentioned that I planned to quarantine them and the seller says"good idea, I have lice issues"....how do I detect lice? how do I tx lice? how do I prevent lice? I've never had lice with goats. Thanks Grace

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Just got some lice/flea duster or powder. I think there's a brand called Python something and it works great. We had a little lice issue with a couple goats and you just dust that on them and it immediately gets rid of the lice. You can get it at a local Bleyel, Big R, Co-Op...etc.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You can also use DE - livestock grade or Permectin II - it is usually about 8.00 for an 8oz bottle. Add 2cc to 1 quart water and spray or apply down the spine of the goat like you do with frontline for dogs and cats. :thumb:

4. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I don't know how it works with fiber goats but we had this issue last year.. We shaved the goats (Sunshine is lice's natural enemy) and applied DE.. no more lice :)
    I don't know what the shaving rules are with Cashmere's :shrug:
    But DE works great.. I have also used it on my cats for fleas (we don't shave them.. that would be a nightmare)

Jennah

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good old Sevin dust, it's cheap, it works AND theres always plenty to dust the living quarters.....without doing the latter, they will be reinfected :wink:

6. Cynergize, Cynergize, Cynergize...

We live by that stuff here, skin issues, flies, lice, and so on. I use it on my dogs and goats. We have had nothing but great results by this product. I am greatful for the breeder that told me about it. And a little bit goes a long way. I am still working on a jug I bought almost two years ago.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    everyone has great advice... :thumbup:

good luck... with your new cashmere goats... :wink: :greengrin: