lice. ivermectin.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AlaskaBoers, Aug 20, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i went to the vet check in at fair and the vet was there checking lice, she checked mine and found 1 dead louse on zephyr, rejecting the whole group. she told me to inject ivermectin every week for two months to get rid of lice for the entire herd, is this safe? she has a bad reputaion for giving bad advice and not well liked in our goat community , is this another piece of bad advice?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That does not make since ,if I am hearing it right,,,,,,,,,,,she found 1 dead louse, :scratch: , It is dead why would you treat your whole herd, if the louse are already dead,,,besides it is a very bad idea in my opinion to inject ivermectin that many times ,that often,it could create (power worms) ....I have injected ivermectin plus, one time and no body died,,( this was before being exposed to our buck,,, some at the injection site had a reaction....it festered. I also found that ivomac or even using the plus,, seemed to stop working for killing lice given orally or injecting it,,they still are itching and have live bugs..............I would powder them or spray cylence on them or something like that ,,if they do have (live lice)........worms are getting harder to kill as it is,,,,why treat that much for lice just to find out ooooooooooops,,, now I have created power worms that are resistant to ivomac...............hope this helps.............

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, i didnt think it would help, just make as you say 'power worms' that are adapted to the injection. grr, yep , just wanted to make sure i wasnt crazy for thinking this was a stupid idea. so i guess no fair for me, :cry: oh well next year i will have better animals,if all goes well.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Sevin dust from walmart plant section works best. Becareful not to get it in their eyes.

Ivermectin injectable does work for sucking lice but not biting so if you have biting lice you need something that is more like Sevin.

if you use ivermectin do it only once adn then ten days later to get any eggs that hatch

and I am so sorry about the fair -- that is just so mean :(

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Sheesh, they allow goats with all sorts of unwanted diseases but won't allow you to show because of 1 DEAD louse? I believe I might have to have this "vet" ousted. Not only is it bad advice, its potentially dangerous for the goat.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i dont think she really is a vet, someone told me something about her license being out dated. but next year theyre talking about hiring a species specific vet to do each animal instead of a horse or dog vet.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lice is a big deal though but it happens and having one dead one shouldn't have gotten you kicked out . i say sevin dust too. i dust mine twice a year and i'm for the most part louse free

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    okay, so whats the average price at walmart>?

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can also use lavender essential oil, just putting some down their topline sends the little buggers running.

I can't believe the vet would do that, I often wonder about vets sometimes......

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    between like 3-7 dollars I would assume, I havent bought it recently. No more then 10.00 I would assume

I got the little 1lb bag and still have it- lasts a while

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I use Permectrin II that can be found at the feed stores. You dilute it out and use like you do the frontline on cats and dogs. I use it about every 4-6 weeks if I know that there is a problem - less when there are no visable lice.

That is stupid that they did that and NO i would NOT reccommend using Ivermectin that often. That is just insane and asking for immunities to be built up

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is way too much to give to goats!! Poor things! That is terrible advice and it's awful that you were not allowed in because of only one, a dead one! Sorry that happened, how frustrating. When we use Ivermectin we use it once and then 21 days later. We also give it orally (as Fiasco Farm recommends) 1ml per 50 lbs. We don't inject it because it burns like heck I guess. . . . what our goat-mentor told us.

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, yeah, for treating lice (when our goats may get it) we use the dusting powder as well. Works good.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes I used that permectrin CDS but I didnt delute it, seemed to work

15. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    At least they check for lice! At our fair the vet said " I don't check for lice they just have to be healthy" :veryangry: Sorry about the fair.

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have always given my ivermectin and other meds injectable rather then orally. I put mine in the milk stand with grain then trim hooves, give vaccines or wormings and what ever else needs to be done.

I have never had an animal jump, scream, dance, or anything while giving the ivermectin. Just need to make sure you rub it out so that it is disapates throughout and does not leave a lump.

Even in cats and dogs, I have never had an issue with the pain beinging anymore then the needle poke.

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thank you everyone, it seems pretty scary that she would tell that to anybody, and they would listen, and their goats' health would be in trouble. i'm just glad i have you guys to back up my thoughts.

well i guess the akdga is going to hire their own vet next year, they have been politely hinting that this vet is dangerous, under her care - 2 horses died last week, and as i understand a few goats. so i wont be using her anymore.

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your very welcome ,,,there isn't that many real good vets out there that know about goats,,,,,,,,,,
    goat breeders had to learn from trial and error ,,vets just did not have much experience until now when the goat world just exploded............
    It is us,, the breeders that have to stick together and help one another in time of need and if one breeder doesn't know about a question well another might of already experienced it and knows the answers...............But for a vet to give out that info and does not know or tried to study the outcome should of never became a vet in the first place............Our vet is a very good one and he really cares,,His name is Jack Griffith out of orland ca veterinarian hospital,, if he is unsure about a problem,,, he will literally go out of his way and dig into his medical book...............He has also learned from us on treatments on goats,,,,, because he cares about the animal,, not the money.

19. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I use sevin dust and the stuff that Allison uses, permethrin....I have had great success with sevin dust...make sure you buy the 5%, it is label fr cats and dogs on the back.