The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back in from the goat pen, and I was looking around on one of my year-old doelings, looking for fleas or whatever, when I noticed a tiny white-ish/tan-ish insect (which I initially thought was a bit of food or something...until it started moving). I didn't have time to check for more, but now I'm starting to wonder what needs to be done if we do have some kind of lice, or something. I'm sitting in my office just itching up a storm thinking about it. Should I call the vet? What options are out there? I've been noticing that everybody has been itching, but I figured they were shedding their cashmere.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Don't worry - the lice are fairly goat-specific! You'll need to use a dust to treat the living area and bedding. For treating the goats themselves, you have a lot of options, all which need to be repeated a few times. My personal favorite is Cylence cattle pour-on which is 1mL per 25lbs applied topically right down the spine and repeated in 4 weeks. Other options of Ivomec injectable, Seven dust, Permethrin, Python dust, and I believe Ivomec pour-on? Many recommended Diatomeceous Earth but I have not found it to be particularly effective even with multiple applications.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I found what I think are the lice eggs. I can't find any bugs. I treated them with Ivomec pour-on. I cleaned their pens and treated them with DE and Python dust. I repeated the Ivomec pour-on 7 days later and I need to do it again tonight (7 days later again). Between the pour-on, I dusted them with python dust. I only put the dust down their spine. I really needed to dust them all over. I have been treating goats from 4 weeks to 4 years old. I treated all of them even though I only saw the eggs on 5 of the 6 kids. I even treated the donkeys. I hear that they are goat specific, but the donkey lays with the goats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts