Lice/Mites?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by SterlingAcres, May 21, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Okay...

So here's the situation. I cut back on grain because the little goats are getting plenty of food, but the fatty older ones are hogging twice as much grain as they need. I have no where to separate them until the big barn is up.

Yesterday, I was outside hanging out with them after I put the kids to bed. Callie felt really boney. I figured if I shaved them, I could see what I had to work with and go from there.

Well, I've got 2 shaved and they aren't boney, just dairy. But the problem is... They're covered in these little yellowish bugs. They look like fleas more than lice, so I'm not 100% certain what they are.

A) What can I wash the goats with to remove or kill most of these bugs?
    B) Are they transferable to humans? My kids are helping me by holding the leashes and I'd like to know asap.

Thanks guys.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    A) if you shaved them, they will leave the goats pretty soon(they're lice btw) you can give them a bath in Lemon Joy dish soap or you can mix lavendar essential oil with olive oil(5 drops EO to 1tbsp of olive oil) and put it all over them. Lice can't stand the smell.

B) species specific, so nope :)

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep... Sarah answered it..... :wink: also ...you can use DE or seven dust ... if you like to.... :thumb:

5. GoatGirl333

GoatGirl333 New Member

May 19, 2010
    flea and tick shampoo for dogs is also safe as long as you keep their heads away from the soap we have fleas here and the best remedy is clippin everyone because the bugs are gone the next day but i also give them a flea bath with a shampoo where they have to leave lather on for 5 mins to kill the eggs. vet says it's safe on their skin and follow the directions like it was a dog like don't get in their eyes, dont let them swallow, all that stuff!

6. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Goatgirl...I had read goats don't get fleas so it's one less thing to worry about. Darn! LOL