The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a four 8 week olds, 1 is bottle fed. We noticed on the bottle baby that the hair on her legs was thin (almost as someone shaved her). After looking at her body, it appears she has lice.

This is our first time with babies and I'm worried.

We just dusted everyone with DE along with their bedding. We checked the famacha and they appear okay.

My question is, should I be doing anything else at this time? No one has any bare spots and all are acting normal. I read that the ivermectin injection could be used orally but I'm not sure. Also, should I be giving red cell via drench? I also bought Nutri-drench goat. I'm feeling very lost here...

Thoughts please!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Do you know for sure it is lice? You should be able to see lice, but mites you will not be able to see. The ivermectin injectable is what I use for mites. I inject it subq. 1cc per 40lbs. once a week for three weeks. For a lice problem, that would work, however I use Python powder for them and sprinkle it on their bedding. I hate to give my little ones shots of ivermectin if I don't have to...but that's just me.

·
Super Moderator
59,235 Posts
At 8 weeks I wouldn't be giving them a shot. If they really have lice you can use Cylence at 1cc per 20 lbs. You can also use the python dust. Make sure you clean their shelter area well.

Why are you giving red cell? Do they have white eyelids?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I googled what lice on goats looked like and it seemed to match.

Is the python dust different from the DE? I really don't want to give them shots if they absolutely don't need it.

Their eyelids looked okay when I checked yesterday afternoon. I wasn't sure if giving them red cell would be a good idea just in case. I'm just very worried that I'm not doing all I should.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Yes, python dust is different than DE. Python dust is a type of insecticide and lice are a parasitic insect. DE is not very effective towards treating lice and has a bad reputation for causing respiratory issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts