Lice on my new doe kids

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by AZSarah, Mar 30, 2011.

1. AZSarah

AZSarah New Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Arizona
    I am new to having goats. I just brought home 2 little doelings this past Saturday. On Monday I noticed they were itching & scratching so i inspected them & found what I am pretty sure is lice after researching it.
    (small, kind of a dark brownish color, looks like they are sucking & not moving)

I have a few questions; one is, could this lice have come from the hay I bought?
    I did not notice any of the goats itching or scratching where I got the babies.

Next, they are just a few months old and I am not sure what treatment to use. I have read up on the topic but am still uncertain.
    I have already dusted them with sevins dust as I read that it was safe for kids, that was the day before yesterday but they continue to scratch away and chew, more now than before it seems. How long does the Sevin dust usually take?

Any input on what I should do, if I should try something else at this point?
    I don't want my little goats to be miserable or sick.

Thank you for any information!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    if they are a couple months old - I would say to give them Ivomec plud and then repeat in 10 days :) you can also put Demacious Earth in the bedding :)

Injectable plus - 1cc per 100 pounds injected - 1cc per 30# if given orally (I personally prefer to inject)

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz..... :thumb:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I use vetrx topically. Its all natural and safe for kids. If you can't find it at your feed store check www.jefferslivestock.com and you can order it there.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hi Pam ... my name is Allison, nice to meet you :ROFL: :slapfloor: :ROFL: :slapfloor: :ROFL: :slapfloor: