Lice or Deficiency??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Goat Crazy, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    One of my does is losing alot of hair. There is no scabs, bugs(that I could see), or flakes/dandruff. What you think is causing the hair loss. I'm guessing that maybe she has a case of deficiency in something because there is no sign of any kind of bugs. She is eating, drinking and is active.

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Could you post a picture? I expect there are a lot of things that could cause this, a picture might help. I would think you would want to be careful about treating for a deficiency of anything without actually knowing what it is. Do they have free access to loose minerals that are formulated for goats?

Jan

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Is she actually balding? Could it be that she is just loosing her winter undercoat?, as one of mine already is.

I did have one loose ALL, and I mean All of his hair last winter due to running a fever, vet said it can happen......I had to order him a goat coat and he wore it the whole second half on winter until it really warmed up here in the spring.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Where is the hair loss located?

5. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Is she actually balding? Yes.
    Where is the hair loss located? All over her body, mostly on her left side. I haven't notice any hair loss on her legs or neck area yet.

6. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I for got to add that she may be bred. Her kidding date would be April 12th.

Attached Files:

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Do you think she could be rubbing it off?

8. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Do you think she could be rubbing it off? She could be, but don't you think she would have to be really itchy to rub so much off?

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She could have a lice infestation. Have you pulled apart her fur to see if you can see anything moving around? If you suspec it's lice then I would get some kind of lice dust. I can get python brand I think it is from a local feed store around here...you just put it on and it is very effective in killing the lice.

The sides are a common place to itch to get rid of lice so this very well could be what's wrong, but it would be wise to have a vet take a look, maybe even do a skin scrape to see if it's some kind of skin condition. Now if the fur is just falling out there is definately something else going on.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio

12. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Thanks for the article. Selenium deficiency is definitely possible. I got some dust I just haven't used it yet. It has a warning that if you get it on your skin run that area under water for 20 min. then call poison control. So I am a little nervous about using it, I think I'll go buy arm length plastic gloves!

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow....that looks just like what happen to my wether last winter after being sick and running fever. I think I would have a vet look at her......also, depending on where you live and if it is cold I would put some kind of coat/sweater on her.....dog sweaters/coats work well.

Hope you figure it out soon, poor girl.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    if it is that potent.... I wouldn't use it... if she is preggo...... Maybe try some DE ....

Give her some selenium... like a Bo-se shot..ect :hug: