Lice treatment

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Oct 6, 2007.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The kind of lice goats get can not be passed onto humans, dogs, cats etc. So do not fear if you see some little buggers on your goats.

Here are some proven treatments

7% Sevin dust – be careful around the nose and eyes, rub it all over their body. I like to give them a bath a week later.
    Apple Cidar Vinager – rub all over and let the goat dry – do not wash out
    Diametacious Earth (food grade) – rub all over

2. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Durasect works well. Can be bought at Southern States.
    Remember to always check for lice in addition to checking fecals when a goat is anemic.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The "sevin" is proven! My goats have not had them personally but Angel and the little herd she came from did get lice. They were dusted and Angel was also before I brought her home....works excellent...and if you have access to restaurant sized spice (like garlic powder, oregano..etc) containers like I do..it's even better because you can put the dust into an empty one and shake it on evenly(careful of the eyes and nose).

4. hprice3920

hprice3920 New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    What age is safe to use Seven dust? I noticed lice on my black nigora girl and now she has given the lice to her two other freinds. She is 6 weeks old and they are 8 weeks old. Someone told me lice don't live on goats in the summer because of the heat, but it's been over 90 each day here and I still see them. I was also told to shave the goats to get rid of lice, but I really dont want to do that either. :(