lice

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by LaManchaLady, Apr 25, 2010.

1. LaManchaLady

LaManchaLady New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Okay another question, i have been reading but haven't found real clear answers.do goats always get lice regardless of how many you have and if they have seperate pens etc.?? it seems llike every article i read it says that a person will always have to deal with lice with goats :sigh:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not true. Lice are always a possibility and they can be brought in to your goats by way of hay....or a new herd member bringing them in.

Anytime you are brushing your goats if they have them you will notice them.....even then just use a dust in their sleeping area as well as on them. Sevin dust works and is cheap.

3. LaManchaLady

LaManchaLady New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    thank you, i just want to make i do the right thing for our new family members, never had to worry about lice with our horses.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When I got Angel, it was the first time I'd ever seen lice...these were the biting kind and she was here for just an hour before I'd seen them around her rump, I got out the Sevin dust, put some on her and watched my others for sign of them. After that I've never seen any at all since.

5. LaManchaLady

LaManchaLady New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    that is comforting to know, the lady i am suppose to be getting my 3 lamanchas and one alpine contacted me tonight and said she was trimming hooves today and notice one of the wethers had a very thin coat and that she suspected lice , she didn't see any but she is going to clip him tomorrow weather permitting and see if there are any, but either way she wants to find out what is going on with him, which is good but a little hard as i was suppose to be going on wednesday for a visit and it may have to be post-poned :(