The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be bringing two goats to a 4H fair 4th of July weekend... i was out walking and trimming hooves of my doeling who was born in april that i was planning on bringing...to clip her hooves i had her on my lap and noticed she shed a ton...i didnt really think anything of it, but a little later i found some little tiny yellowish bugs on her back.. my brother and dad thought it was lice, but looking online it looks like lice are bigger than that? but idk for sure. I can get a picture later, but i also dont know how she would have gotten lice to begin with. i've bought 3 goats, my 2 does that i got 2 years ago and a buck that i got last year. the does were treated for lice a year ago and the buck has never been around this doeling so how could she have gotten lice? she's never left the property..

I contacted my vet and am waiting for a response to what she thinks, but if it is lice, if i get treatment for them am i okay to bring them to the fair in two weeks? this would be my first time showing goats and i dont wanna bring infected goats, but i also really want to show....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even if it is or isn’t lice, you should probably dust with some Diatomaceous earth.
My vet said she thinks it is either lice or mites, she suggested Ultra Boss or Durasect, but neither of those are in stock at tractor supply or farm n fleet near me.... is diatomaceous earth better than either of those?

How long do i need to "quarantine" them? will they be okay to leave my property in 2 weeks?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cylence works for lice. 1cc per 20 lbs along their topline. Diatomaceous earth doesn't work as well.
all that was in stock anywhere around me was Permethrin concentrate and the vet said that would work so thats what i have now. I need to clip my goats sometime in the next week for the fair, do u think it would be best if i clipped them before treating them? or wait till after?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I treated all my goats and they should be good. I'm going to repeat after 2 weeks to be sure tho.

I'm wondering if i should let the couple that bought my bucklings know? or is lice honestly not that big of a deal and i shouldnt worry abt it?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Lice will make them unthrifty because they don't eat as well so yes I treat for them. Shaving the goats usually gets rid of them but I use injectable ivermectin given SQ (not orally like you do for regular worms). 1 to 1.5 cc per goat. It stings but it kills them quickly.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lice will make them unthrifty because they don't eat as well so yes I treat for them. Shaving the goats usually gets rid of them but I use injectable ivermectin given SQ (not orally like you do for regular worms). 1 to 1.5 cc per goat. It stings but it kills them quickly.
i was gonna be shaving them in a few days for the fair anyway so i went ahead, clipped the ones i was bringing at 1/8" and then treated. The ones i was planning on bringing to the fair had the most from what i could see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts