The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had 2 does that gave birth one single 4 days ago and one had twins 48 hours ago, the single one is doing amazing bouncing around and playful but the twins are very sleepy all the time and never try to get any milk, the mother is a terrible mother, but I’ve even worked on bottle feeding all of last night and I can’t even force bottle feed them, they suck on the mother’s teet a little bit but not as much as I think they should, I’m pretty worried about them, am I over dramatic or do you guys think they’ll come around? I just don’t want to feel like I’ve waited too long before it’s too late, any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd keep trying with bottle feeding. I know some people have had success by rubbing a little molasses on the nipple of the bottle. Are you able to milk the mother and bottle feed the babies with mothers milk?

What are the kids temperatures? What all have you tried so far? (BoSe, electrolytes, Nutridrench, etc)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you go about checking temperature? My first time with new borns, havnt tried any nutrients yet just been working on getting them milk, it’s been cold as hell here lately, I have blankets and heat lamps up, the don’t feel cold but they look it

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Check temperature rectally. Use a thermometer, and gently push it into their anus and hold it there until it tells you their temperature.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I know my previous bottle kids refused to take a bottle unless it was 100F. If it was too cold or hot, they weren't interested. cupping their chin while holding the bottle in their mouth can help. Covering their eyes can help (makes it dark like being at the teat).

The B complex is for boosting appetite so they will WANT to eat. I highly recommend it.

Goats run hotter than we do, so them feeling warm to the touch to you doesn't mean they aren't hypothermic for a goat. 100 degrees F is the minimum temperature for a baby goat to digest milk. 101.5 is preferable. If they are slow and look like they feel cold, they probably are. Take their temperature.

The Karo syrup gives them a quick energy boost so they are strong enough to suck. My vet taught me about the syrup. The boost doesn't last very long. They'll absorb it in about 5 minutes and run through it in 2-10 minutes, depending on how much you gave them. Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and hypothermia often go together in young kids. If they aren't eating, they aren't getting energy, and aren't producing heat, so they aren't strong enough to eat, so they can't produce heat. It's a vicious cycle.

If the bottle just isn't working. Once you get those kids warm and a little sugar to boost energy (it'll last about 10 minutes...) you can also bring mom to a milk stand, or inside, hold her still somehow, and force her to give milk to those babies. Hold them up if they're having a hard time standing, put their noses in front of the teat, and make sure momma doesn't kick them off once they get a hold of the teat. Move quickly if you're out in the cold because if their core temp drops again, they won't have the energy to suck anymore.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I've been using an electric blanket on my bed to warm them. Warm them up, give them oral B complex, oral Selenium, and oral Probios. When all that has had a chance, THEN try to feed them.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Good. I was wondering if it could be something wrong with that doe's milk. Check that when at it! If you have not CMT, or the like, do smell, look, and taste.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts