The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Wethers, barring any health issues live the longest mainly because they don't have the hormonal issues with rut or heats, pregnancy, lactation etc.
I have a friend here who has a pygmy wether who is turned 18 years ...he has some arthritis but is in overall good health, nothing special done with his care ever either, he's had free roam of her families pig and cattle farm since he was 3 months old.
I lost my oldest doe 8 weeks ago, she was 13 years old and had been retired as a mama when she was 8 years old.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've been looking at places to get goats, and I'm thinking that an older Nigerian dwarf wether would be best. First of all, I haven't found very many older wethers for sale. Am I missing something or are they just less common? I HAVE found a lot of 'senior' does and bucks though. They are all about 4 years old tops... That doesn't seem very old to me! Is there something else that makes them "senior"?

·
Registered
637 Posts
So I've been looking at places to get goats, and I'm thinking that an older Nigerian dwarf wether would be best. First of all, I haven't found very many older wethers for sale. Am I missing something or are they just less common? I HAVE found a lot of 'senior' does and bucks though. They are all about 4 years old tops... That doesn't seem very old to me! Is there something else that makes them "senior"?
Depending on where you live, look up Farm Sanctuary - we have one where we live here in town, they usu have goats and sheep to place...
I think the people who have older goats are bonded to them (or else they are placed, or eaten)--
what I do see is on Craigslist, people who have to move and need to place their animals, that might be one solution, and you would be doing a good deed...
The most recent ad that caught my eye were people who were trying to place a group of pygmies from a petting zoo....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts