The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Are you talking about the ligament they "lose" prior to kidding? That is around their tail. You put your fingers around their tail head. It's hard to explain, but easy to do. If you Google "kidding signs" you should get some pics of it.

· Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about the ligament they "lose" prior to kidding? That is around their tail. You put your fingers around their tail head. It's hard to explain, but easy to do. If you Google "kidding signs" you should get some pics of it.
Yes prior to kidding my boer doe I touch all my fingers around her tail head and her tail is even kinda floppy but here udder isn't very big so I wanted to make sure I was checking the right way how soon after they get that loose do they tend to kid? The earliest she is due is 12/9

· Registered
602 Posts
Ah ... thats my question! So what I'm feeling (slow increase in elasticity of the ligaments now I'm 1 week off due date) is normal?

And they will simply disappear entirely just before kidding?

· Banned
5,939 Posts
That is what I've read/heard. A word of warning, however, there appears to be at least some goats that do not subscribe to this theory and refuse to conform. :laugh:

· Registered
2,995 Posts
They can come and go multiple times before kidding - so it's just a rough estimate, not an exact science. When they are completely gone and stay gone they're usually close - other signs are the bag being "tight", dropped belly, and posty hind legs.

· Banned
5,939 Posts
And how - exactly - are you going to know they are completely gone unless the doe kids? I don't pay any attention to them except for a cursory glance. They are simply too unreliable.

· Registered
602 Posts
Oh bother so its not necessarily reliable ... thats a pity.

I'm assuming there is no other magic bullet for telling for sure "tonight/not tonight"?

Never payed this close attention to this before ... the meat goats just look after themselves and you wake up to find kids! Now my first dairys are due and I'm all nerves!

I've been faithfully feeling ligaments night and morning ...

· Registered
6,548 Posts
Never payed this close attention to this before ... the meat goats just look after themselves and you wake up to find kids! Now my first dairys are due and I'm all nerves!
Dairy aren't that much different from meat when it comes to kidding. Relax and go with what you know from your meat goats

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.