The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night at about 11:30pm we noticed a light brown discharge coming from our Alpine doe. So, we assumed it was baby time and we waited in the barn all night for something to happen. Our other goats have kidded within two hours after seeing any type of mucous, but it has now been over 7 hours and NOTHING!:( This morning we saw a large "pile" of this light brown discharge/mucous.

Anyone know what is going on? I tried feeling for babies and couldn't feel anything. I'm no expert at this so maybe I missed something. She is showing other signs such as pacing, getting up/down, nibbling at her sides, squatting, and being restless in general.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
sounds like early stages of labor...they will be very restless, stretch doing much of what you said...is her udder tight shiny and strudded? her lady part loose and baggy?
babies dropped under her, ligaments gone?
do you have a due date on her??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't have a due date as most of our girls came into labour around the same time so we just let our billy out in the pen with the doe's we wanted bred. I think I can still feel ligaments but I've never been good with that one. Udders don't look overly full to me. Her vagina is not loose and baggy, this is nothing like our last ones! It seems to me that she has more hollow sides indicating the babies have dropped, but she has such a weird body shape it is hard telling. We didn't even think she was bred until her previous owners said they thought that last year and she had twins!

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
if she is eating drinking peeing and pooping well..I would keep an eye on her..I have some who act like they are kidding NOW and take a week to prepare, stretch, up/down...driving me nuts lol..
If she get lethargic and stops eating, acting distressed the you may need to call a vet or experianced Goat friend..but sounds tome she is just not ready...they can have discharge for a bit off and on while in pre labor stages..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts