The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So her ligaments are totally gone, and have been for 2 weeks already, and she isn't due until another two weeks. I know how to tell ligaments, so I'm not doing it wrong. This is new to me, I've never had a doe do this with the 25 years I've had goats.
She is just now starting to bag. She is a boer, about 270 +lbs or so, HUGE belly, I'm thinking trips or quads.

What does it mean?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Is she eating and moving around OK? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. If she's off feed or seeming to be "walking on egg shells", then you should think about treating for hypocalcemia and ketosis. A doe can be huge, but when they get this their spine will be very prominent. They are literally losing muscle.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Veteran doe or ff? Could she have been bred earlier? Might just be some weird pregnancy thing. You know all that stuff they trick you with for 5 months straight......

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She eats and walks just fine, but she doesn't eat as much as she did when she wasn't pregnant , drinks enough. She's is in good condition, but yeah like you said her spine is just now starting to show. I figured she wasn't eating as much because there isn't as much room in there.
She lays down all the time, seems like all day just in different spots periodically.

This will be here 2nd freshening, she is a 2 year old.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I would not worry to much. No i am sure she is not eating as much as she was before she was pregnant, she does not have the room to put it if she is a big girl like you said.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
She eats and walks just fine, but she doesn't eat as much as she did when she wasn't pregnant , drinks enough. She's is in good condition, but yeah like you said her spine is just now starting to show. I figured she wasn't eating as much because there isn't as much room in there.
She lays down all the time, seems like all day just in different spots periodically.
Watch her. You might want to have some MFO CMPK solution and some Propylene Glycol on hand if she totally quits eating and won't get up. Just a thought based on bad experiences. If she were mine, I'd be giving her about 50cc of MFO once a day up until kidding, just as a precaution.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
So her ligaments are totally gone, and have been for 2 weeks already, and she isn't due until another two weeks.
I pay very little attention to the ligs with my girls. It has been my experience that they are not reliable indications of kidding with my bunch. But let those kids drop and they are the sole focus of my attention!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She had trips today! Black paints! I guess I had the dates off, but her ligs were still gone 2 weeks before.
Her babies are soooooo tiny, vigorous little buggers though!
She had a solid black buck (had them while I was gone, black buck was dead in the bag), a black paint buck, and a black paint doe!!! Finally a doe!!!! I had ALL bucks this year. Will post pics soon!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the babies!
Sorry for the funky lighting, that last pic was just to show the cuteness and how tiny they are! I can't believe how tiny!:eek:
But I and in LOVE with these babies:D

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
They are just beautiful! Like little calves! But cuter because they are goats! Such cuties! I haven't seen such markings before! The only Boers I have seen have been brown and white.... Just want to hold them! Congrats!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
:eek: SO adorable! I need a black goat now ;)

Very sorry about the black buckling. At least momma and the other babies are okay. Congratulations

1 - 14 of 14 Posts