Likely gonna lose my doe. :(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CrazyBear, Aug 22, 2011.

1. CrazyBear

CrazyBear New Member

My doe that is next due to give birth, started showing signs of labor last night, I put her in a stall by herself, she had presented a red ball of liquid before I had to come in and go to bed. (I had a BAD motorcycle crash last week, and I'm moderately injured and missed work pretty much all last week, and I HAVE to go to work this morning) Well, figured I would wake up to a pair of kids this morning.

NOPE. She has apparently done nothing at all overnight in the 6 hours I was asleep. Only change is that bulb of liquid poped, but its still hanging out of her. As soon as my friend gets here gonna try to maybe go fishing and see if I can work anything out, but not real hopeful, after this many hours I am fearful it might be too late for the kids and her.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are you familiar with repositioning kids? you may want to take her to the vet at this point.

3. Kimmerz Cali Kidz

Kimmerz Cali Kidz Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Elverta, CA
    I'm sorry! So nervous for you! Hope all goes well! Let us know!

4. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Goats "close up" much faster than other animals. You have about 2 - 4 hours after the labour has really begun. A bulb out, I guess it was the ... oh, my English, the "bag" surrounding the foetical water. When it bursts, she is really at labour. To go in then, may only cause her pain, with no other result than a wound in the womb tissue. A vet can at least give har anestesia.

Oh, I do worry for your friend! Please tell us how it works out.

5. I would get her to a vet. It may be to late for the kids but she can be saved.

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    No question, vet time or you will lose her.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ...a vet should see her...I would call the vet out to your place ...she is in a bad way right now and I really think she shouldn't be stressed any further by traveling to a strange territory or even moved.... Praying for her and the babies... Tell the vet it is an emergency... :hug: :pray:

8. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I agree to a vet. In the future, don't leave a goat that has presented an amniotic sac...if something goes wrong and the kids can't come out (which is honestly not too uncommon with goats and generally requires repositioning assistance from humans) then there must be someone there or else the kids definitely die and the mom most likely dies. I'm sorry you got in an accident and had to sleep, but if your lifestyle or job won't allow you to stay up with a laboring doe, you probably shouldn't be breeding them. Someone being there with her to go in and re-position could have been simple and made all the difference between life and death, especially since you knew it was happening.

9. CrazyBear

CrazyBear New Member

Vet said there was no way she would have ever been able to pass the kid, was WAY too big. And he said she was unusually tight for a doe her size, it took the vet quite an ordeal to even get in and figure out what was going on. Heck, that kid was LARGER then our one month old kids that are up and doing fine now. And she had torn by the time we got her to the vet, so, lost them both. Live and learn I guess.
    And no, I have road burns over like 15-20% of my body, whole right arm and half my back, not to mention, otherwise bruised up. I'm quite lucky to not still be in the hospital. Sorry if I can't be the ideal goat home, but this is how it is.

10. Willow

Willow Senior Member

I am so sorry that you lost them both. This has been such a hard time for you. Take care of yourself and give yourself time to heal emotionally and physically. :hug:

11. DavyHollow

DavyHollow New Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm so sorry for you. You did the best you could. I recently lost a doe the same way, cept much longer drawn out.

please take care of yourself

12. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Yikes, I'm sorry you lost them both. And I didn't say you weren't a good goat HOME. Just saying that maybe if it isn't feasible for you to have the time to birth kids it might not be the right thing for your situation. It was pointed out to me that I might have been harsh. Not my intent. You came on this forum looking for advice...and my advice is that when a doe is in labor and you know (because sometimes even the best of us misjudge signs and completely miss births by no fault of our own) then don't leave the doe, and you will have a lot less heart ache. Or call someone to help you, etc.

Of course you couldn't control having an accident, but getting up every few hours so that you got sleep but still were able to check on the doe would have been something I would have done because I would be too paranoid to let "nature take its course." And you would have been able to know something was wrong in a much more timely manner. But everyone does things their own way and I know very well that you may not have been able to get the vet to see your goat until the time she ended up being seen anyways. I'm very sorry it didn't go well and your situation (too big of a kid) is every breeder's nightmare.

I hope you have better luck in the future, and always remember that breeding goats can be and is heartbreaking at some point for all of us so don't be too hard on yourself. I've seen some people come on here and beat themselves to pieces about what happened, but it just wasn't meant to be. Many hugs to you.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sorry for your losses.. that is very sad... :( :hug:

Glad you are on the road to recovery... take it easy ...take care of yourself and heal.... May God bless you and take care of you.... :hug: :pray:

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm so sorry for your losses. :hug: Sometimes these things just happen...there's really not all that much you can do in this type of situation. Sounds like you really did your best and when there's nothing more you can do...i'm so glad you took her to the vet to confirm this.

Hope you have a quick recovery. :hug:

15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Very sorry for your loss :( I'm sure it was very hard. I hope you get better from your injuries, I couldn't imagine being injured in a motorcycle accident! I've seen what happens on ATV's, and it's not pleasant...can't imagine hitting the road being any more pleasant. Thoughts and Prayers going your way!

16. :hug: So sorry for your loss. Take it easy and get better soon.

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry for your loss. I do have to agree with firelight though, if you are not able to be around for your goats, for whatever reason, it's always wise to find a neighbor, alert your vet to a possible situation, or not breed if necessary. Everyone is going to take care of the their goats differently, but I do think she was let go for too long. Once there is a bubble the kids should always be right behind, and if not then repositioning or a vet is needed.

You have learned a very hard and valuable lesson here. :(

18. potentialfarm

potentialfarm New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Maine
    Sorry you lost your doe & her kid. Unfortunately, life does sometimes take over & no matter how much we try, can't always be right there for them. :hug:
    I have been sick for the last 3 days (on the rebound now). I am never sick, and it made me realize that if something were wrong with the goats during those 3 days, I probably wouldn't have been aware enough to notice. I was able to go through the motions of feeding/watering/milking, but that's it. I'm not saying this to whine about being sick, just wanted you to know that I understand how life can get in the way of our best intentions and efforts.

Oh yeah, hope you heal quickly from your accident. This is why I don't want my husband to get a motorcycle! :)

19. Burns Branch Boers

Burns Branch Boers New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    North Texas
    crazybear I am sorry you had an accident and I am sure it is very hard carrying on your own normal routine so I do applaud you for doing all you could for your doe and getting her to a veterinarian.

I can't imagine being sick and trying to maintain my goats all by myself. Even on good days it is alot of work sometimes and murphy's law--the bad stuff always comes about when you are down.

20. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Sometimes it seems if it weren't for bad luck we'd have no luck at all.......
    Im praying for some good things to come your way! don't be discouraged!