Lilliput in Labor but Cervix Not Dialating Update she Kidded

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by CrazyAcre, Mar 11, 2010.

1. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Well Lilliput has been in active labor since late afternoon/early evening with no progress.
    So I took her to the vets and they said her cervix is not dialated much at all, and there is not much they can do, but either wait 24 hours and see if things change (as she is not obviously stressed) or C-section :hair:
    So I chose the wait and see
    They gave her some Calcium SQ and said that might help 2 out of 16 goats :hair:
    Well I sure flipping hope she is in the 2 %

Does anyone have any suggestions, she does have goopy mucus coming out so I guess that is some progress
    Please help if you can..
    What I way to start the kidding season :pray:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: Lilliput in Labor but Cervix Not Dialating HELP

hmm, i'm not 100%, you could try to manually dilate her, try opening the cervix yourself it worked with one of my does last year. she had been in labor for 3 hours and i went in and gently and very slowly managed to 'pry' it open, and got hold of the kid, and took about 3 minutes to get her out and cleaned up.

hope everythings well :hug:

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Yes I agree with Katrina- I had to do this for a doe once too

Take the tip of your finger and find the opening to the cervix and sort of just keep working your finger around trying to open her up- once you get her a little wider you can use two fingers to sort of help stretch the opening, give her little breaks, and once you can grab a hold of a foot do so and keep gentle pressue on the kid allowing the cervix to open up the rest of the way

Good luck!!!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

there is a drug to open the cervix isnt there? why didnt the vet suggest that?

5. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK

My wife is an RN and the joke around here is she is going to induce labor so we know when Houston Gal will kid out LOL on the serious side the drug they use in most human cases is called Pitocin.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Yep, you will need to try manually dilating her. Once you can get the two fingers in you are usually out of the woods and it will open the rest of the way.

:pray:

7. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Well here's a quick update,
    Lilly finally kidded this morning with lots of human help
    the 1st was dead and a doe,
    2nd and 3rd are bucks, but not out the woods yet, they are both raspy and one is not trying to stand at all...
    But hopefully Lilly will be ok and is on Naxcel now..

And the good note besides Lilly getting through this is

While we were helping Lilly ,, Sprinkl's kids with 2 beautiful doe's :leap: :leap:
    one is all black / or chocolate and the other is black with a white tip on her tail and a white poll.. I am retaining one and the other will be for sale, I'm leaning towards the all black one :)

More info later when I have done chores, showered and sleep some

8. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Sorry you lost the doeling- thats probably what help up the dilating....anyway glad she came through with a safe delivery and prayers for your little boys to pull through

and wow what a busy day- congrats on the other two doelings! Thats great!

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh good I am glad you got the kids out. Did you just keep helping her like I said to over the phone? Sorry the doeling didn't make it, but at least you saved your doe and she still has other kiddos to comfort her and make her feel like she did a good job. :hug: :hug:

And congrats on the Twin does! :clap: :clap:

10. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Sorry for the loss of the girl and :pray: that the boys get stronger and stronger.
    Congrats on the boys and Sprinkl's girls too! :stars:

11. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Sorry for the loss of the doeling, sending :pray: for the little bucks! I'm so glad you were able to help her... you must be exhausted and she must be, too... enjoy your rest, and congrats on the twin does!

12. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Sorry for the loss of your little girl. But congrats on the twin girls, and will pray :pray: that the little boys get stronger and pull through.

13. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Thanks everyone, I still haven't gotten any rest, but one of the little boy's are not out of the woods yet.
    he is very raspy , I called the vets and he said to give him some penicilln, which we are. He's eating and moving around, but he just sounds horrible, I feel so bad for him :cry:
    Does anyone know of anything else I can try???
    I will get some pictures up tomorrow, and my all black doe is looking Like a Dark Chocolate , even better :p

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you swing him upside down after birth? as you seem to be aware it sounds to me like he aspirated fluids. Good thing he is on pen now, dont need pneumonia setting in

15. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Yes, I swung (that spelling looks wrong ) him a few times, and keep sucking his mouth with the baby bulb sucking thingy, I should know whats its called , but I'm to tired to care :)
    Yes, I hope the pen helps, just wish there was something more I could do..
    Well I'm off to bed
    Pictures tomorrow, I will try to promise :eek:)

16. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    The thing to remember with a baby with fluid in the lungs, is to keep the baby warm..Even if you put a coat on him, keep him under a heat lamp if possible, when they get a chill that's when the poor little bodies can't fight off the badness...

17. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like you had a rough time...Lilli too :( I'm sorry the doeling was lost, and I hope the boys do well :hug:

Congrats on doing such a wonderful job in helping her :applaud: