lillys bloat is back...I think

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Aug 9, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok so lilly is huge as ever, looks like she could still have 3 kids in her... too bad she only had one boy lol. Anyways, you pat on her stomach and it sound like a drum. I watch her and her rumen is working good, she is chewing her cud constantly, and i was rubbing her belly after giving her bs and she is burping. SOOO is this bloat or what could it be. i have given her tums, backing soda, frothy bloat formula....of course all at different times, oh and goat pepto bismal... what else can I do?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    are you sure she was done after kidding?

How often did you give baking soda? and how much

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Do you have a picture? Is her left side 'bubbled up' and even or above her spine? Or is she just big? She isn't in any discomfort?

4. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    Sounds to me that if it was bloat, you nipped it in the bud! GREAT JOB! Way to think on your feet! If she is still chewing her cud and doesnt seem to be in pain, I wouldnt worry about her. You did the right things!

CJ

5. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I know she was done kidding cause her placenta was out and I bounced her several times in disbeleif that she was done lol. well i will just keep an eye in one her throughout the night just to make sure she is ok. I have been giving her like 5 tums everytime I go out there mainly so she has probably had a good 12 of them lol, sorry if it is too much :oops: . Anything else you guys think i can do?

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As long as she's up and moving around and seems to be fine otherwise, I think she'll be fine, it's just been a few days since she delivered, she still has her "baby" belly and after having just a big single I understand your concern with the belly, keep her hay and water abundant and grain minimal for a day or two and see how she is then, My pygmy/nigi kidded with a single tiny buck last year and my goodness I could not believe there was just one in there...she was huge and it took 3-4 days for her belly to go away too. Make sure baby is eating and mom is moving around...the bloaty look will go away...she's burping and chewing her cud, good signs that she is feeling like a "goat should".

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    This is probably a silly thought but did you worm her after the birth?

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nothing is a silly thought

9. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    That is a great question enjoytheride! I didnt think of that! Definantly not silly at all!

Kidding knocks down the does immune system making them more suseptable to worms and an overload of worms would cause the distended "bloated" look!

Why didnt I think to ask that question? Great job!

Cj

10. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Not a silly or stupid question at all. And yes she was wormed and that could have been the cause of all this. Lilly and baby are doing great. Lillies bloat is completly gone and is 100% back to normal. The little guy is awsome, I just love him to death. I just adore him. I will get up to date pics to show you! thank you all for your guy's help!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wonderful. Cant wait to see new pictures of the little man

12. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  13. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Sooo, Sixshooter, where are those pictures of your cute little guy???? :)

14. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I relly on bumping really well and it works everytime, and nope she was empty lol. She is fine now. all back to normal. I have his newborn pics in the kidding section. I will go in there in a minute and get newer ones there