Lillys the foster mom!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Nubiansrus, May 26, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Had to share this story. I had a first time mom that had three kids this year, she was only taking care of two of them. Also had a doe that lost her kid, but had a super nice udder, wasnt gonna let it go to waste. So I was holding her trying to get her to feed the third doe, she was ok with it but not a happy girl about it. So once a day I had her feed that little girl. In the meantime I had another mom that didnt take care of her twins... so I was bottle feeding those, they were pygmys. I had them in the house for a few days because they were so weak and we are having 100 temps. Anyways... I put them outside when we had a cold trend and it was only 85-90. Anyways... the la mancha mom that I was trying to get to feed the third kid decided she wanted the pygmy kids!!! Shes totally become the mom..she protects them, feeds them both, she has decided they are her kids!! Thought that pretty neat... poor third kid to the other doe though... shes still so small and no one will fed her. Not sure I can bottle feed her at this point though, shes like a month old.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I tell you those mom's that will take another does babies are worth their weight in gold. That is great news.

Just remember that sometimes they know something is wrong with them and they know they will not make it. SO if that little one does not make it, just know that the mom's new it way before you did.

Hope the third one does make it and proves the other mom's wrong. Good Luck

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ....musical udders......that is wonderful....... :wink: :greengrin:

I am sorry... that none will take... the small baby girl...... :(

4. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008

Yeah shes a really great doe, with a really nice udder. Weird thing is me and my friend were talking earlier in the year about investing in some more expensive does, because we bought sometimes from the auction, and though I love my does they sometimes dont have the best udders. Well this doe was from the auction for $5!!!! What a steal.

I wonder... but Im not gonna give up on her. Shes small and a bit skinny but still active. Shes eating hay as well, so Im hoping she makes it. :(

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats great that your doe took the pygmy babies, but as others have said, there is likely something that you can't see but the moms can sense is wrong with the doeling.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    You are not wrong there. I have three nurse does - two are average and will take kids grudgingly - I have to tie them for the first week to let the babies nurse, after that they will take them. They usually raise their own twins and then two more sets of 'twins'. But my third nurse doe is amazing, she feeds whatever I put in the pen with her, straightaway, no problem. She fed 7 kids last time (one was hers). All three are boer with 1/4 dairy influence. Great mums