Lily kidded - Bad Update/Question

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by Epona142, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    FINALLY! I swear, I thought she was going to cook these buggers until they were way overdone. Three days past their dute date!

Okay, so now I know you're waiting for it. Did Epona get cursed with three MORE bucklings?

:wink:

Nope!! First born was indeed a white, blue eyed buckling with one black foot. Super cute little bugger.

Second born was a chocolate doeling!! :leap:

I thought she was done, as they were good sized kids, but I bumped her gently and sure enough, a third kid was in there. After a moment she had a go at delivering it.

Confused me for a moment as to what I was looking at before I realized it was a breech kid. I got the legs and helped her out just a bit.

A white, blue eyed doeling!

TWO doelings!!

:kidblue: :kidred: :kidred:

Here ya go, what you're waiting for:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope was bred last night...maybe she got some of those DOE vibes from Lily..here's hoping the buck plague is over and the doe flood is coming!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Lily kidded - Triplets

Congrats - they are very cute!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Aww...very cute....congrats... :thumb: :love: :greengrin:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Well, look at them. They are adorable, and worth the wait.

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Congrats! Do you have any hair left? :laugh:

6. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska

Sweeties!

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

What hair I have left, I'm sure Caiti will cause to fall out. She's also overdue, and still holding out on me.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Awwwww Congrats!!! They are so adorable! I LOVE the pics of them sleeping, too cute! I am so happy you got 2 does! And your girls are 'night' and 'day' or 'salt' and 'pepper' haha :)

9. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Now I just need the does I want to keep doelings out of to kid out doelings this winter, LOL.

I've already got people beating down my door for these babies, and they're not even 24 hours old yet, eep. Hurry up Caiti, I need more kids obviously. Lol

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Well...it's about time!!!

Congratultions on such pretty babies! I love the contrast with the chocolate doeling in the "mix" :love:

11. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho

Congrats on the delivery ;-).I'm glad you got some does! I have the opposite luck-lots of does-too many acctually. I'm almost hoping for a mostly buck year on this next kidding season.

12. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Lily's triplets died this morning.

I made a mistake. I didn't triple check her udder and teats. They were up and "nursing" so I thought everything was fine.

Apparently Lily had no milk/colostrum for them. When I found the poor babies, I tried to get something out of her, and there was nothing. She was nearly dried up.

What could of happened? Why did she dry up? She's kidded and nursed before, even been milked.

Was it because she was overdue?

Was it because she's been overbred?

What a disappointment, on so many levels...I can't even begin to explain it..

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :hug:
    oh how terrible, sorry for your loss :(

I have no idea why she would have dried up..though I had a doe this year who was overdue and didn't have any milk when she kidded either, i had to feed replacement colostrum.
    did you see that they each suckled within an hour of birth?

14. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    They all got up and sucked on the teat...stupid me didn't check to see if they were actually GETTING anything out of it..

It's a mistake I won't make again. Now I'm worried about Caiti. She is overdue too, and still hasn't kidded. I'm going to have to look for some replacement colostrum just in case, I think.

15. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    They look so cute.
    I am sorry for your loss. I have no clue about goats and why they would do that...

16. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    OMG I am so very sorry! How heartbreaking, those cute little babies :( Everyone makes mistakes, and if they seemed to be nursing just fine, then don't beat yourself up over it. Again, I am just so sorry :( Many HUGS going out to you!

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am very sorry for your loss... :( :hug:

Dried up... you mean the udder was not filled at all or that you just didn't get any milk out of a big udder ?

I feel... it had to be something else...of why they all died..... cause.. it would take longer for the kids to starve .....before they die or if they didn't get enough colostrum.... it takes longer than over night...it may take days....... do you think ... she may of laid on them...(suffocation)?
    Cause they where really healthy looking in the pics.... where very active....and tried to suckle from the teat....it is almost as if... they may of gotten something out of the teat... and after momma discovered her babies weren't responding to her....that she is holding her milk...not letting it down.... with no baby stimulation to that area..... so I feel it is not your fault.... :hug:

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    that's a thought pam.
    I've had 2 different does smother their kids, you know it because you go out there, and don't see the kids until the doe gets up :(

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have had kids live longer then 24 hours before I noticed mom's udder was congested/mastitis so no I dont think that caused their deaths but I guess its possible.

I am really sorry for the loss of all three of them :tears:

20. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I am so very very sorry for your loss. :( Those lil ones were so beautiful. I agree with the others, you would think it would take longer than that... also it seems very weird that all 3 would pass suddenly... even if they were starving, you would think that it wouldn't have happened all at once like that, that maybe a stronger one or two would have survived...

:hug: to you. that is so awful, and I know you were so excited to have the doelings too! :tears: