Limping buckling

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ananda, May 9, 2016.

1. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    My 7-8 week buckling just started limping in the last hour. We think he pulled his leg or sprained it on the food bowl, I don't see how he could have broken it? How do I tell if it's sprained or broken? Do I bandage? Give his asprin?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Usually if they are putting weight on it, it isn't broken. Have you felt the leg from the shoulder to the hoof?
    If he puts no weight on it and it is dangling, it is broke for sure.
    If he is still limping on it, just keep him calm and it should heal fine. Could take a couple of weeks or so.
    You can give him aspirin or banamine as needed for pain and swelling.

3. packhillboers

packhillboers Senior Member

Did you look inbetween his toes? I had one this year limping terribly and thot she had sprained her leg or ankle. . She ended up with a sticker puncture that caused a painful sore and lump. I soaked it in epsom salts each night in warm water and applied numotizine drawing sauve. In two days it was better with no further problems. We have these weird stickers that love to get into their toe area here. It could be something like thats or a puncture to that area. Check the toes.

friesian49 likes this.
  4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Check to see if something jabbed his hoof. I had a doeling this year with a long thorn stuck deep in her hoof sole and she was limping pretty badly. Another of my kids was limping and his leg was swollen, and while I was running around trying to decide what do he got better.

5. Ananda

Ananda New Member

Apr 15, 2016
    I checked his hoof and leg really well this morning, as I thought it might be a blackberry thorn. His knee was super swollen, and his ankle part was less swollenBut still swollen for sure. He whined a little when I felt it but since he wasn't screaming at me I didn't think it was broken. By noon he was putting virtually no weight on it and pretty much just lying down except to eat and drink. I also just got finished with a round of tylan 200 for pneumonia for all 3 goats and read that sometimes goats can have a latent reaction to antibiotics especially at such a young age. I made the decision to drive him a few hours to the vet because I couldn't be sure if it was broken, fractured, sprained, a reaction or infected. After an x-ray and thorough exam by a vet, it was decided to be an infection of the joint - the vet gave me some banamine, la 200 and vaccines for all 3 goats. I'm glad I took him in because I was leaning toward sprained and going to treat it as such, and I didn't know goats needed vaccines so...
    I guess I need to do more research on good goat care. Any suggestions for a book or website?

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad the vet seen the goat.

I wish he would of gave Nuflor instead of LA200 seeings how he just was treated with it. Banamine was good to give.

A Vaccine can be CD&T it protects them from tetanus and prevents overeating disease or was given tetanus antitoxin, which helps keep tetanus away and is an immediate protection short term. You need to find out what was given, if it was CD&T it needs to be given again 21 to 28 days later.